Finally, my turn. Big monkfish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard someone call Monkfish 'poor man's lobster' a long time ago and have always been curious to try it... so does it taste anything like lobster?

Kaiser442:
I heard someone call Monkfish 'poor man's lobster' a long time ago and have always been curious to try it... so does it taste anything like lobster?

I've made that comparision myself, but it isn't quite correct. The monkfish has a great texture which makes it the #1 favourite with most chefs. Unlike a lot of other fish, it doesn't come loose when cooked, or fried as it should be. We make it in the oven mostly, but we always give it a quick sizzle in the pan first.

It's awsome for wok'ing too, and appreciates good spices and herbs if you have them. Ginger and garlic in the oil in the wok, and a hot thai sauce is a killer for it!

You're making me very hungry! Wonderful pics of the fish, scallops and uw shots. I hadn't thought about using a knife for underwater fishing, but for the bottom dwellers that sounds like it works well. Congrats on the big monk.
EER

I have loads of diving pictures in the galleries. especially in the winter we can have awsome viz here. Up to 40 meters have I experienced (130 feet?). Lots of marine life end up on our plates, ha ha!

Monsterbreiflabben-_232491a.jpg

When I thought I had caught a big one, someone showed me this picture...

Weight: 69 kilos / 153 lbs
Lenght: 158 cm / 63 inches

They do get big, don't they?... :D

Man, those are some fugly fish :D

Don't think we have them in this area. Taking a decent sized one with a knife sounds like fun.

More inof on them here:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/education/monkfish/monkfish.html

<snip>
Monkfish range from the Grand Banks and northern Gulf of St. Lawrence south to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. They are occasional visitors to the lower Chesapeake Bay from late fall to early spring. They inhabit sand, mud, and broken shell bottoms from inshore areas to depths greater than 800 m (2,300 ft).
<snip>

When you find these fish, do they blend in like flounder & halibut do or are they easier to see? With a mouth that big it looks like you'd need to take care to not get bitten.

Wayward Son:
When you find these fish, do they blend in like flounder & halibut do or are they easier to see? With a mouth that big it looks like you'd need to take care to not get bitten.

Monkfish
Lophius americanus

Big mouth?! :D It's just in the name, ha ha! :14:

They don't bite hard, but the teeth are really long and sharp, so the danger is actually if you pull your hand back to fast if you get stuck... You'd actually risk pulling the flesh off your knockles. Ouch! -And it has happened...

Wayward Son:

They are very often difficult to spot. New divers will swim right over them without seeing a thing! :D Especially the big ones are masters of camouflage, at least since we don't really expect to see a 4 ft long fish...

Wayward Son:
Man, those are some fugly fish :D

I can't say I agree! take a look at this photo session by a friend of mine:

Photo: Kjetil Palmquist

If you click on the pictures you'll find them at the bottom of the photo gallery, and you can open them in larger sizes for more details.

Sincerely,

Reidar

Back
Top Bottom