Finally ordered a DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Mako, Gavin and X Scooters on NJ/NY wrecks. They're great tools to help you get to the line and down. There were a few times the scooter wasn't nearly as useful - small, deep wrecks with high flow on the ascent. I was using a standard Gavin and holding onto the beast on the way up was a pain. It was like a bucking bronco. Also, getting it back on the boat (with 70lbs of SLA) was something else as it pitched against the side of the boat. PVC is tough, but nowhere as tough as aluminum, or HDPE. Busted a Gavin nose cone and that was 400.00 back then.

Anyway, just a story from a few years ago where li batts weren't available and scooters were heavy. A friend used his Aqua Zepp on the Doria and U Who. That was something else. If I had a favorite NJ wreck to scooter on - it would be the Resor. Gin clear water.

Hi Guys:

I find myself in a conundrum and unable to make a decision. I've narrowed the choice down to several scooters, all from Submerge. Their price point and their features made them very attractive to me, as opposed to other manufacturers. I've narrowed it down to these three.

1. Viper 30AH (Lithium Polymer)
2. Minnus 1.5 (Lithium Polymer)
3. Magnus (Lithium Polymer)

While options 1 & 2 are comparable, the Magnus does have a longer range. I dive with a drysuit with a twin back gas configuration (double HP100). Yes, I will carry a stage at times. Physically, I'm three apples high and my weight fluctuates between 125-135lbs. I would use the scooter in the open water where there is some surge and some current (minor) and from a boat (not too often). Option #3 will give the greatest range and if I want to ensure not running out of juice, this will be the clear winner. However, between the Minnus and the Viper 30AH, which would provide me the best solution? Between a brand new Viper 30Ah and a used Minnus, which is about two years old, which would you choose?

I appreciate your feedback, as I find this more difficult to buy than a regulator/computer/automobile.

Thanks,
O.

I would recommend either the Viper LiPo or the Minnus 2.0, actually. The issue with a 2-year-old Minnus 1.5 is that the batteries have already started degrading. You get 4-5yrs on a lithium pack, so a 2-year old Minnus has ~$1k of batteries depreciated. The choice then is price point. I've chosen the Viper, because I believe the price difference doesn't net me performance increase I'd need to justify it.

A well designed Li-Ion pack should not have issues with cycle life. Li-Po is just a type of Li-Ion, nearly identical chemically to conventional Li-Ion. We have many Li-Ion packs in service for Dive X scooters that are 7 + years old, with many many cycles. My personal Sierra has the SN001 pack in it and it still tests at over 90% of original capacity. It's well over 7 years old.

Tobin

Well I went with the Submerge Viper LiPo and took it out on its maiden voyage today. Dove with limited visibility, so the teams kept the speed down. For the majority of the dive, I was on Speed 1 with a Prop pitch between 5 & 7 (mostly 5). Kept up with two Gavins (Don't know the models and what speeds they were using. However, they were equipped LiFe batteries).

Honestly, I was very happy travelling at that speed. I didn't find it too fast, nor too slow. Didn't feel any pressure on my arm, until I lengthened my tow leash a bit too much. On the return leg, I kicked in Speed 3 (pro pitch 5 or 7 I forget) but the pressure from the harness was "substantial." I could not dive with this much "discomfort" for any extended period, unless it were an emergency. The scooter was extremely maneuverable and made some very sharp banking turns without any effort. Found the scooter extremely quiet, as compared to what I have seen on You-Tube videos (perhaps it's the proximity of the camera to the hull).

In mid water, when not in operation, the Viper rotated and presented its nose handle at 12 o'oclock each time. While I did install a soft carry handle, for the majority of the dive, I just stuck my thumb in the nose handle, which was enough to keep the scooter from wandering away. With the included small weight pouch, which I installed according to the Submerge instructions, the scooter had perfect horizontal trim (salt water).

In truth, I was very worried about the trigger system of the Viper. Couldn't believe the ease of operation of the trigger and, more importantly, the ergonomics. Didn't have any fatigue in my hands, as I had experienced with the Sierra trigger. In fact, it's actually too easy to actuate. Need to train myself to rest my hand away from the rotating trigger, until I'm ready to move.

I won't give up kicking but this new tool certainly makes for a fun ride. In addition, it allows me to shorten my travel time to deeper areas and reduces my nitrogen loading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom