FINCLIP, the new accessorie that will make your dives easier!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaiap12

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody!!

I'm an italian scuba diver, from the wonderful island of Ustica!
My dad owns a diving center and he always tries to help scuba divers enjoy their time. He often sees people struggling to put on fins so he invented FINCLIP!
Check out our kickstarter campaign and see how it works!
FINCLIP - The easiest way to don/doff your fins

Have a great day!

I assume that is you in the red hat and your father is the mature gentleman in the promotional video .

I began my diving adventures many years ago as a youth during WW11 about 70 or so years ago

My first fins which I purchased via mail order were Owen Churchill fins open heel and non adjustable which I used for about ten or so years.

In the early 1950s Arthur "Bud" Brown created the Duck foot fin also open heel and non adjustable which I used for many years

We who were "serious " divers ( what ever that term denotes) used the largest fin available and made adjustments by the addition of copious amounts of foam and/or rubber to the back of the heel strap. After the introduction of the wet suit by Hugh Bradner in 1954 we used wet suit scraps tapped to the heel strap

Even the early dive manuals such as the 1954 LA Co Underwater instruction manual "Underwater Recreation and a few others were against the usage of adjustable fins

Then about ten years later in 1963 at a LA Co Underwater instructors association gathering we were introduced to the adjustable Jet fin by Gus De La Valle. Slowly the adjustable fin was accepted by the at that time small diving community which was concentrated in Southern California.

Fast forward to late 1960s... Bill Walters, LA County UW instructor introduced the BIU "At Pac." Once again at the gathering at an LA Co Underwater instructors association gathering. It was radical -it was a deferent concept- buoyancy on the back of a diver ? Once again slow acceptance Now 40 years later the standard of the diving community.

Skin Diver magazine did a series of research programs over 25 years to identify the dive community..at that time the community was young and small as would be expected. What was unexpected was the longevity of the divers. Early in the research it was quite long a the end of the 25 year research the divers longevity was reduced to around three years.

There was a concurrent study by an American doctorial candidate who discovered any new device, technique etc introduced into the diving world required about five years to be accepted aa the standard of the diving community.

And all this occurred long before PADI was established and now has become a norm of the industry.

Hope this is in some way is encouraging to you and your father...that some day Fin Clips will be the standard of the dive community

SDM

Ps need verification of my credentials check my profile or goggle may name + diver
Also there are two I am # 111 son is #IV and is also involved in diving sdm

Thanks Sam. That was very nice of you!
I didn't know that my daughter wanted to help me in promoting my idea. SHE IS WONDERFULL!
I hope she doesn't get too much upset by reading negative comments about FINCLIP on this board.

Will the fin clip work on Apollo Bio fins with SS spring straps? The spring straps on the Bios do not mount on a nub as do many other fins, and instead are screwed through the fin pocket.

Not a criticism but a question? With skis one leans forward at the feet. However, with scuba depending on your kick you may want to bend your foot down. It looks to me like with finclip the strap is much higher on the back of the foot than it normally is. Also there is a rigid looking back. If I want to flex my foot down (think of during a full flutter kick) will the full range of motion of my ankle be reduced or made more difficult?

Altamira:
For now FINCLIP is designed to mount on fins with a standard nub BUT we are working on variations for up to 90% of the various types on fins currently on the market.

Steve_C: There is absolutely no reduction of movement. The elastic that runs through the heelpiece will allow you to flex your feet down in the same way you do now with no discomfort at all.

I like that your design simply provides an improved interface between existing fin and strap designs.

Among other things this means that any failure mode in your device will result in essentially the exact same, time-tested and thoroughly abused strap design. Quite clever!

I just backed for two pairs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom