Finding dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RWG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, all. Enjoyed reading your convos for a long time and finally signed up. Hopefully I’ll have something valuable to contribute. For now, I’m wondering if anyone has a go-to source (a forum or app, maybe?) for finding dive buddies. I travel a fair amount but alone (and don’t dive alone), so I usually have to opt for pricey and sometimes inconvenient guided dives. Suggestions?

Try the sub forums for each state/country. I've had some success with that in the past.

I don't have an answer but I sympathize, I have the same problem. Been trying to convince my friends to dive for years but no luck so far.

Buy a pony bottle that is travel friendly (13/19ft³) and implement that into your standard dive setup. Take the solo/self reliant course. Enjoy the freedom of not being beholden to someone else's dive plans and having your emergency air with you and not on your buddy's back.

That or look into local Facebook groups for the location your diving at and ask there.

Take the solo/self reliant course. Enjoy the freedom of not being beholden to someone else's dive plans and having your emergency air with you and not on your buddy's back.
The solo/self reliant course requires 75-100 previous dives. Hard to get without a buddy. I get that it's an advanced course and requires experience, but that's still a lot of diving to do before you can start.

The solo/self reliant course requires 75-100 previous dives. Hard to get without a buddy. I get that it's an advanced course and requires experience, but that's still a lot of diving to do before you can start.
Yeah, I'm aware. I also replied to the OP based on what their profile lists as # of dives.

FWIW I mostly solo and have never taken that course. I've thought about asking my instructor friends to cert me but I just don't care. The ops I do dive with know me and my abilities so they don't bother me about it. I dive with redundancy 100% of the time regardless of what the dive is.

Screenshot_20240324_153622_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware. I also replied to the OP based on what their profile lists as # of dives.
Yep, on mobile so it didn't show that.

I mainly dive on vacation so the guide is around, not always assigned a dive buddy. I want to buy a pony and dive myself when I get more experienced.

Yep, on mobile so it didn't show that.

I mainly dive on vacation so the guide is around, not always assigned a dive buddy. I want to buy a pony and dive myself when I get more experienced.
You have to click on their name twice and then "about" on mobile to see it.

13s pack really nice and are good from about 30 meters depending on your trained ascent rate and ability to be calm. 19s are better for deep self rescue, but don't pack as well. 19s rig and ride better slung, 13s are great as back mount with only 3-4lbs counter weight for balance. I use a quick draw system that has two parts. One lives on my cam band and the other on my pony. Tank changes aren't affected and it's always with me.

20240306_154149.jpg
20231222_173253.jpg
20231222_173323.jpg
20231222_173212.jpg

I agree with everything @borderguy said, except I recommend an AL40 for a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom