FINS, FINS, and more FINS!!! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1+ on the Mares Avanti Quattro. I have had my pair for about 3 years now. Only fin I use. Put the new bungie straps on this summer making them even better. My partner went through Slingshots, Atomis spits, F1's (monster heavy) and finely bought the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus that come with the bungie strap.
Mares Avanti Quattro Plus Open Heel Fin at LeisurePro

I use freedive fins mostly, but then again, I spearfish around oil rigs in sometimes heavy current, so I need all the thrust available. My open heel fins are Mares Quattros.

I'm scratching my head about tbone1004's comment that his jets provide more thrust than his quattros... my experience is completely opposite.

it's all about leg strength there, if you have the leg muscles, you can swim faster with jet style fins than you can with the quattros. My 500m time is about 2 minutes shorter with jet fins. It's noticeably more effort to move them that fast, but you can kick slower for the same speed.

Like others have said, there is a reason that jet fins have been so popular for so long. I have tried and owned all kinds of fins. F1's are nice because the pockets are large, but they are longer than my jets and don't maneuver as well for me. I got some F2's for travel because they are compact and lighter, but don't give me enough power to get through a strong current. I dive the split fins just to annoy some uptight divers that I go out with sometimes! In the end, though, I dive the jets 99% of the time.

I wear XL in Jets with 3mm booties. I was reading that the pocket is really big on the F1's. The F2's do not seem like they would be what I am looking for. I did read on the Quattro's but I have the legs for Jets. I might just try a Pair of them and see how I like them.

Thanks for the opinions. Who knows I might eventually get all of them. My son's want new ones too to dive with me.

it's all about leg strength there, if you have the leg muscles, you can swim faster with jet style fins than you can with the quattros. My 500m time is about 2 minutes shorter with jet fins. It's noticeably more effort to move them that fast, but you can kick slower for the same speed.

I've got the leg strength covered (17 year Rugby veteran)... still scratching my head. Oh well, I know what works for me.

Give the Aeris Accels a chance if you can. Haven't thoroughly put mine through the paces but they did ok for the 6 dives I did last week in the Palm Beach area (both shore & drift dives)

Also look for Mares Power Plana. I have never seen a pair in person nor seen them for sale where I live. But if they are as comfortable as Quattros and kick like Jet style fins without being as negative as Jets / F1's then they would be my ideal all round fin.

Power Plana - Open Heel - Mares

it's all about leg strength there, if you have the leg muscles, you can swim faster with jet style fins than you can with the quattros. My 500m time is about 2 minutes shorter with jet fins. ...//...

Test a pair of Dive Rites for a really good comparison. Mine have exactly the same profile as my Quattros, but DR's don't have any longitudinal flex. It would be interesting to see if your assessment changes.

In general blades will give more power but increase issues for cramping. Freedive fins even more so. Splits will be easier to kick and are more forgiving for kick style with less chance cramping.

I dive Atomic splits and they are perfect for my recreational dives. Some shore dives do require long surface swims over 200-300 yards sometimes and I have no issues keeping up with others divers in a dive club. I don't cave dive and wreck diving is limited to swimming around outside with no penetration. I even had a drift dive in Cancun with pretty decent current and splits did just fine. But I would like to try those new Atomic blades. Hmm ... Might have to rethink the split thing.

my daughter dives Aeris Mako blade fins. Just around $100 with lots colors to choose. They are surprisingly fast fin and she loves them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom