fins for long surface swim/fins for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, one more thing: It is a little impossible to "let people try them" BEFORE funding the manufacturing to actually make them. It is not reasonable to run a large scale demo with rediculously expensive one-off prototypes.

We're sure they will be the next best thing since sliced bread and will cost less than my closeout accels and come with warmed-up slippers in the morning when they come. In the meantime the OP is looking for a pair of fins that don't hurt the ankles and don't tire out the legs. The useful advice would be to actually and figure out why those things happen, then what to do about it.

I mean, realistically, the price point for all those one-off patent-pending handmade superfins is such that you can add a nickel and buy a scooter. Leg problem solved.

Cheap scooters suck. Any scooter that you would actually want to use is gonna cost upwards of $1500 by the time it is ready to dive. The good ones are over $4000. A cheap scooter is a liability. Good fins are a rare asset to scuba diving.

Cheap scooters suck.

For "long surface swims" as per the subject, they can't suck more than the TECreation fins as pictured. For me, anyway: "blade" angle on those things is such that if I tried to use them on the surface, they'd be sticking out of the water at 90-degree angle. YMMV and all that.

Why not put those Maxair fins up against some one with freedive fins on, I'd like to see the difference.
From everything I've gathered over the years, freedivers seem to know what works the best. They need the most power and speed at the most efficient energy price since they are diving on one breath.
Care to discuss the rest of what makes a diver efficient besides a fin?

To the OP, whatever fin you choose, it takes time to get used to them. You have to use them a lot and your legs have to get acclimated to the variation in the design.
I've used many fins over the years and each one seems to be quirky and maybe not so good at first, but then as I get used to them they work better. I gauge it by how good they get after a time frame, not right away.
Ankle/foot soreness, tight hamstrings, cramps, etc, all this is normal with a new exercise, finning is exercise. Just like a different routine in the gym, you will get sore with something new.
Generally, a fin that really pushes you forward but does require some effort to use are a good start and worth sticking with until you get acclimated to them (or your legs do anyway).

Hi Invertgirl, let me share my experience on this, the same thing happened to me around 4 years ago,..i was researching on the internet for the 'perfect' fins,...i started with aqualung caravelle upon certificaton, and moved on to scubapro jetfin, twin jet, mares avanti, slingshots, apollo, and still couldn't find the perfect fins for me (u can imagine how much money i spent on those fins),..not until i discovered force fins around 2.5 years ago in my LDS. They looked different, open toe pocket, fins shape, and they are not flat. I was fascinated by the design and ended up buying a pair for myself. Long story short, i Tested it, and loved it instantly, i have no trouble kicking, it's like it's not even there, the fins worked well in currents (1-1.5knots in my experience) and calm waters, and i would never imagine myself underwater without them,...i sold all my fins before ForceFins and would never considered wearing other fins.

But again, fins are personal choices, i suggest trying as much as u can at your LDS pool before buying one. Dont go fins frenzy shopping and wasting your money on some crappy product that dont work for u,..but for me Forcefins are still the best fins out there,..

Excuse my grammar and typos, its hard to type using ipad :/

Have you found them good for surface swimming? Many other places I've read they are really good at everything except for surface swimming, because the fin is out of the water when it would otherwise be giving you the most force.

Hey all I have been on a neverending search for good fins...I can never seem to find a pair that I even tolerate. The problem with my current pair (Tusa Tri-Ex) is that they really hurt my ankles and they tire out my legs quickly. I'd like to find the best fins for shore dives with long surface swims...and then a different pair for boat diving with a lot of current.I've never had split fins, but I've spoken with lots of people who just love the Atomic split fin so I've been considering those for the shore dives, but I'm not sure. They're pretty expensive, so I want to get a lot of input before I go out and buy them.I heard the Mares Volos are pretty good for open water dives. Do they have a lot of power for diving in currents?Any info at all would be great! Thanks 
For shore diving, you got to wear boots. Your fins are bound to be heavy-sided. The stiffness is good for power thrust in a short current or caught in a surprise washer. I have never tried free diving fins before but they seem to be popular (and easy for no cramping). However, they're not very versatile for cold water, shore or wrecks. Makes complete sense. Split fins are a no from what others have told me.

I love scubapro fin designs. They really are innovative and colourful (safety and buddy recognition). Plenty to choose from. The bungee strap will outlast your lifetime of diving 🤙

It has been a while since your post but we at TECreation Development have solved your problem. The MaxAir swim fin, which is still in prototype stage, has been tested and shown to be the most air efficient recreational swim fin in the world. (We welcome challenges but no-one has stepped up.) Our objective testing has shown the MaxAir to use less air and get you there faster than any other fin we have tested. Check out our testing process at our website.
Any idea when they might be available through regular channels? Any idea of the price?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom