Question Fins opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aangaroo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to get a pair of fins that's more convenient to travel with. So far I really like the TUSA Hyflex Switch Pros. But I'm also looking for recommendations for fins that come apart.

I wear Fourth Element Amphibian boots for all my dives.

For what it's worth, my partner has them and loves them. I had to use them once in a pinch and found them to be pretty good.

FORCE FINS or any lightweight jet fin, like OMS.
That's what those are! I had seen them on clips and was always confused about what they were.

I mean, I absolutely hate the look of them but they seem to be popular and effective.

They're expensive, but you might want to take a look at the Scubapro Seawing Supernovas. They break down in half for travel, but are very sturdy. For me, they work equally as well for flutter and frog. Not quite as nice for back finning as like a jet or rk3, but we're talking about travel fins, so something has to give. In this case, its price, but I have nothing bad to say about them otherwise. Broken down, I can get those fins in a 18x11x9 personal item bag along with a backplate, regs and mask.

ScubaPro Go sport or Go travel.
Apeks RK3's
Deep 6 Eddy's. but you'll have to start calling them flippers.

Hello,

I'm looking to get a pair of fins that's more convenient to travel with. So far I really like the TUSA Hyflex Switch Pros. But I'm also looking for recommendations for fins that come apart.

I wear Fourth Element Amphibian boots for all my dives.
What type of diving do you do?
What types of kick(s) do you prefer?
Do you need negative, neutral, or positive fins?
How is you leg strength, endurance, cramp sensitivity?

OMS Slipstreams - moderatly negative "jet-style. Flexy enough to not be fatiguing for me. Good all-arounder.

D6 Eddys' - Great fins. Neutral. Good all-arounder. Just a bit too stiff for me.

I have a collection of Force Fins - Love them. "Pro" (original shape but stiffer/snappier) Force Fins are great for low-amplitude, high-freq. flutter - you can pretty much go forever. They can also ankle-flip sculling/frogging for puttering along. Not good for full-frogging. slightly-moderately negative. Have been my go-to fins for warm-water.

I really like the "new" SP Supernovas. Slightly positive. Well balanced fin that works well for both flutter and frog without being fatiguing. My new all-around favorite. I find the ability to positively grab the "arms" connecting the blade to the foot pocket for ease of donning/doffing in the water quite helpful, especially on a bouncing ladder. Considering weighting options for Dry-suit use.

Tusa Hyflex Switch Pros - Slightly negative. I got them about the same time as the SuperNovas, but only had space one pair on the last trip - so these are my next to test.

I attached my spreadsheet with measurements covering all of the above in this post: Question - First pair of fins

The Go Sports are highly regarded by folks here (including me), the Go Travel not so much. The Go Sport Gorillas are all the buzz right now, though--a little less flexible than the Go Sport, but barely heavier. All three are remarkably light (they float) and packable, but afford impressive acceleration and maneuverability. Also, it's my understanding that the Go Travel fin is not designed to accommodate boots.

The Go Sports are highly regarded by folks here (including me), the Go Travel not so much. The Go Sport Gorillas are all the buzz right now, though--a little less flexible than the Go Sport, but barely heavier. All three are remarkably light (they float) and packable, but afford impressive acceleration and maneuverability. Also, it's my understanding that the Go Travel fin is not designed to accommodate boots.
i just got my orange gorillas and can't wait to look like underwater Dame Edna in a few weeks.

i just got my orange gorillas and can't wait to look like underwater Dame Edna in a few weeks.
Me too! On our last trip, I felt like my nice white Pro Sports were juuuust a bit too flexy. I got black Gorillas right after we got back, but my buddy objected that I'd be hard to spot when she got too far away from we. Obviously, that led to a discussion of the fundamentals of buddy diving, which led to a discussion of a**holes with cameras, which led to the garish pair of Dame Ednas ready to go in the gear bag in a couple of weeks.

Editing to add that some think the newish Seawing Supernovas are even better than the Go line (but that was before the Gorillas emerged)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom