Fins recommendation for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingLuketw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello, fellow divers,

Yesterday my girlfriend and I went diving in a tropical area, when we are cutting through the current, she can't follow up the rest of buddies due to lack of leg power, she's 5'9 and weights around 140lbs, wearing a Gull Super Mew XX, and we dive in 3mm wetsuit, single tank, watertemp was 28C. I was wondering whether there are any fins that can kick easier in the current and require less leg power than Super Mew.

Or should I just tell her to hit the gym more often?:confused:

Proper trim and streamlining makes a ton of difference when fighting current. Paddle fins (Jetfins and the like) which are stiff are good but it takes some leg power and better suited for frog kicking. But I'd concentrate on trim and streamlining first.

I've been wanting to try force fins with a while but was reluctant to spend the money on a new pair without trying them after reading some of the comments here about them. I got a pair use on EBAY for 50 sterling, Force fin pro with bungee. After 3 weeks using them they are the best swimming fin I ever owned. Small and powerful in current, with no calf strain. When I put them on first I found them odd compared to other fins as it's like you don't have fins on when you're stopped but when you want to swim they sure drive you through the water.
P.S. Anyone with a new pair that wants to get rid of them, size large, I have an immaculate canister light without a scratch I'll swap.

I have several Force Fins and love them too. They seem as powerful as my Jets (OMS), but it's hard to do a real comparison. For rugged scientific diving or where I know I need to be really precise, Jets seem to be the best for me. For general diving, I always go with my Force.

I've been wanting to try force fins with a while but was reluctant to spend the money on a new pair without trying them after reading some of the comments here about them. I got a pair use on EBAY for 50 sterling, Force fin pro with bungee. After 3 weeks using them they are the best swimming fin I ever owned. Small and powerful in current, with no calf strain. When I put them on first I found them odd compared to other fins as it's like you don't have fins on when you're stopped but when you want to swim they sure drive you through the water.
P.S. Anyone with a new pair that wants to get rid of them, size large, I have an immaculate canister light without a scratch I'll swap.
Thanks a lot for your recommendation, definitely gonna check that out, but seems like there are no distributors in Taiwan whatsoever, might look it out on Amazon.

Proper trim and streamlining makes a ton of difference when fighting current. Paddle fins (Jetfins and the like) which are stiff are good but it takes some leg power and better suited for frog kicking. But I'd concentrate on trim and streamlining first.
My girlfriend has way more experience on diving and have a decent trim, but I can out-kicking her with my Eddy fins, and I don’t think my trimming is better than hers, that’s why I thought it might be the problem on leg power/fins.

Reactions: Pao
Try to not have to swim up current as it's a loosing battle, even if you can. I do everything I can to avoid it.
Yeah, we are not exactly swim up the current, we are cutting through it, trying to swim out the current area. And since we were shore diving, theres no way we drift down with the current, is there a better way to avoid this situation? Cause we were just following our guide, everything seems great when heading out, not so much when coming back.

Yeah, we are not exactly swim up the current, we are cutting through it, trying to swim out the current area. And since we were shore diving, theres no way we drift down with the current, is there a better way to avoid this situation? Cause we were just following our guide, everything seems great when heading out, not so much when coming back.
You did not start the dive going into the current? Or did the direction change during your dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom