Fins that work okay for scuba and surface / snorkel swimming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djbclark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm trying to find out if there are any fins that work decently for both diving and swimming. And have roughly the same "feel" when doing both.

The reason is that I'll be swimming at least an order of magnitude more than diving, and to the extent possible would like my pool lap swimming to help my scuba diving in terms of being used to the fins and building up the muscles and tendons the fins activate.

I am hoping Force Fin Originals work for this - the company thought it'd be okay - but some people on the Force Fins board dispute that claim.

Thanks for any suggestions re: dual use fins,
-Danny

I'm trying to find out if there are any fins that work decently for both diving and swimming. And have roughly the same "feel" when doing both.

The reason is that I'll be swimming at least an order of magnitude more than diving, and to the extent possible would like my pool lap swimming to help my scuba diving in terms of being used to the fins and building up the muscles and tendons the fins activate.

I am hoping Force Fin Originals work for this - the company thought it'd be okay - but some people on the Force Fins board dispute that claim.

Thanks for any suggestions re: dual use fins,
-Danny

It has not been experience that FFs are optimal for surface swimming. They are great beneath the surface.

I'll add that my DR fins and Deep6 fins are great underwater, but suck on the surface. My Hollis F2s are OK underwater, but also not so good on the surface.

Full foot Scubapro Seawing Novas.

Full foot Mako Hunter free dive fins.

Full foot Mares......

Oh, look, a pattern.

Full foot Scubapro Seawing Novas.

Full foot Mako Hunter free dive fins.

Full foot Mares......

Oh, look, a pattern.
the scubapro go travels are also designed for bare feet. but thin wool socks are a good idea to avoid rubbing.

For a long, planned surface swim, there's self adhesive products that can be applied to my hot spots on my toes.

Superglue works too. But I think bandaid makes a legit product for that.

I'm trying to find out if there are any fins that work decently for both diving and swimming. And have roughly the same "feel" when doing both. ...
I have owned only one set of fins, ever: SP Jet Fins (which are designed for scuba, of course), which I purchased new in 1987. I do my pool lap swimming using these, even though they seem far from optimum for surface swimming. (SP's simple, full-foot rubber fins seem better for pool lap swimming.)

My reality is, I will be in full scuba gear if I will be surface swimming, using a snorkel, out to the place where I will commence my descent, and then back to shore after I ascend. So, I want my legs to be prepared for surface swims with my Jet Fins.

ETA: I have a pair of old, worn-out booties that I use in a chlorinated public pool. I won't take my good neoprene booties into that stuff if I can help it!

rx7diver

I bought a cheap pair of Speedo fins when I started snorkeling. They work fine for me when diving. Get me where I need to go and I don’t seem to lag behind others in or under the water. I’m sure there is likely much better out there, but they’re functional and sufficient for my needs. I have other fins, but these are decent for both without having to overpack for vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom