Fins that work okay for scuba and surface / snorkel swimming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am quite sceptical about most scuba fins as being apt for causal and fun surface snorkelling. Last week I saw the new Aqualung Nabul snorkel fins at a dive shop and have my eyes on those as the 2nd pair to carry on my dive trips besides my Go-Sports…

Swimming is great exercise but this might not work as well as you hope. For scuba diving, to avoid stirring up silt near the bottom it's usually best to use a frog kick or modified flutter kick with your knees somewhat bent and feet raised up. But if you try to kick like that in a pool at the surface your feet will be partially out of the water.

Plus you don't want to damage expensive scuba fins with constant chlorine exposure. And most scuba fins are designed for use with booties that are a bit awkward for pool use. You can buy a cheap pair of Finis rubber pool fins and keep those in your swim bag. Using those for some workouts will help to an extent.

If you really want to build finning strength I think you'll generally get better results by doing leg adduction exercises using resistance bands or a cable machine. And for range of motion, something like the "peeing dog" exercise is also helpful.

My favorite snorkeling fins are my Atomic Smoke OnThe Water Split Fins. Despite the frequent SB hate for splits, I found them pretty good for SCUBA and could do flutter and even helicopter. They are Ok, but not great for frog. They are pretty long. The Reef Read and Purple (IIRC) are also made with a "High Energy" compound compared to other versions.
I have not used the full-foot versions.

I second @JD’s assessment of using Atomic SOTW fins for snorkeling, and I also like them for diving. When traveling where luggage weight is an issue, I use Mares x-stream fins for both diving and snorkeling. I rarely have the option of carrying both, so I have to choose based on luggage weight. I really wanted to like the SP Novas and Go Sports, but the foot pockets did not work for me.

For pool work and snorkeling, get a pair of Tyr Flexfins or Aqualung/US Divers Sea Lion fins. They are under $40 and are optimized for those activities. You could certainly use them for scuba in benign conditions, but you'll be happier with dedicated scuba fins

You can make any standard fin work for snorkeling, by adapting technique. But a semi-flexy fin seems easier. Neoprene socks or booties strongly recommended for entries/exits, or blisters.

For actual swimming--usually with a mask/snorkel for me--the more I swim, snorkel, paddle, and surf over the years, I barely even kick anymore. Fins totally optional, but any kind would work. Good arm stroke technique provides all the pace, efficiency and endurance needed for long swims. Legs keep the body trim and core engaged, very subtle kicking action--bracing rather than "fluttering."

I think this is practiced by some veteran open water long distance swimmers. If you watch surfers, they rocket around with their feet out of the water. I would recommend surfing and paddlesports as a way to break through to much stronger swimming technique.

Like this guy!

Oh, look, a pattern.
For some reason I resisted full foot fins for the longest time. I think it came from full foot fins not working well when I was growing up as my feet were still growing. Took a while for my brain to realize, plus most scuba fins were open heel.

My current fins are Cressi Pro Star full foot. These work well for both scuba and surface snorkeling. Enough flex to still be comfortable at the surface, but plenty of power underwater. I'll probably add a set of Mako full foot fins in the near future for a bit more thrust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom