Fire Coral Nightmare!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe tequila shooters are much more effective :cheers:

The pain might still be there, but it has to filter threw a pretty thick fog to reach the brain after a few shots. :cheers:

As for the sand, I can not speak for any others, but my first encounter with the fire-y stuff, I had some nasty after effects that took quite some time to clear up. the next time I brushed across the stuff, it was: "OS! not again!" I saw some white coral sand nearby, and started rubbing, just to releave the burn, but soon I realized that the burn had disappeared completely.

Over the years since I have had a few more brushes with the painful stuff, and all have been resolved by the sand trick, except for the one time surf deposited me in the shallows on top of both fire coral and spiny sea urchins, in a very poorly planned and executed exit on the Wild side of Bonaire. No amount of rubbing was gonna help that time. Cuts, burns and spines! Oh my.
Beer was the only remedy, oh and for the wounds themselves, alcohol and antibiotics. :cheers:

Hi there,

Thanks for the good advice and jokes - the laughter helps! It's now day 18 and the inflammation has gone down a lot (very thankful). I was able to speak with a physician from DAN who provided me with such great advice. I wholeheartedly recommend that organization to everyone out there! The Dr believes that I may have been stung by Fire Sponge given the patterns of my injuries. I'm still on prednisone and using topical steroids twice a day and Zyrtec. I followed up with a dermatologist just yesterday and he wants me to continue with a low dose of prednisone for another 8 days, keep my legs elevated and prescribed a pretty strong topical medicine called Vanos. So we'll see what happens in a few weeks... The DAN Dr explained that I may have another flare up and to try my best to stay off the prednisone because steroids can be tough on the body, so booze might work for the pain should it come back :) The main thing is the healing of my skin will take a very long time. I may have hypo and/or hyper pigmentation and some scarring, but only time will tell. Just thankful I can wear jeans and socks again!

I thank you all for your concern and will keep you posted on my progress.

And, most importantly, don't scratch or pick the area as that could lead to an infection!

Here are some new pics from Day 18, the inflammation has decreased. My skin is very dry though from the topical steroids, but still warm in some places because of inflammation. 2012-02-18_20-24-40_944.jpg2012-02-18_20-28-07_128.jpg

Good point about scratching or picking area - makes me wonder about the comments about vigorous (as opposed to gentle) scrubbing ...

I brushed my hand up against fire coral in Oct. 2010. Immediate pain, swelling, and discoloration. Water blisters followed 3-4 hour later.

As first-aid we applied vinegar and shaved the area ... but I think the duct tape idea is phenomenal!

My blisters popped and the area became infected about 7-8 days in. I was put on antibiotics and topical creams, but the 'wound' didn't clear up for 2 months, the discoloration for 5-6, and to this day I have scars dotting the topside of my hand.

Been hit by jellyfish and "sea lice" since - none hurt as bad or caused as much long-term concern.

AtMyWitsEnd, Thanks for your most informative posts. My daughter has just today returned from Egypt where she encountered Fire Corsl spores and although she was treated with injections and tablets in the dive area she appears to have symptoms very similar and equally alarming to her as yours were. Today is Sunday so she will be seeing her doctor tomorrow. Have you anything you can say about your longer term situation since February

Back
Top Bottom