Fire Dart fish.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just curious if the other Hawaii members on other islands are seeing a bunch of these guys.

I haven't seen any since '99 or early '00 in Kona, probably 1500-1700 dives in that time, and I've seen them at 4 dive sites, and heard of sightings at 2 others, all in the last 3 weeks. We're having a bloom it seems.

I'm curious at how often they've been seen, or are being seen now, on the other islands.

later,

haven't seen any fire dartfish, but have seen the indigo dartfish at Kahe Pt. (electric beach).

Yep, seeing a boodle. As a new diver can’t say I saw them before being a bit below the snorkel view, LOL. My LDS said almost verbatim what you did. Cool huh? Haven't heard any theories why or what is so condusive. How about a surface interval bloom of millipedes - I'm over run here at ground zero level - basement.

Anybody have a photo of the fire dartfish? I've been seeing some dartfish lately but I don't have the book in front of me and I can't recall which type. I know I've been noticing some new critters in some of my regular spots lately here on Maui.

TN_DOEP356-009.JPG

If these are the ones I can't say that I have seen them - but I'll make and effort to look next time I go.

Must be global warming.

justleesa -- those look like the same ones from Hoover's book, but it's hard to tell because your photo is so small.

distinguishing marks: long dorsal spine (appears to be nearly as long as the fish itself), yellow nose, white band, orange-red band, followed by black tail section. "To about 3 in., but usually smaller in Hawai'i." (Hoover, 73).

Habitat: "Preferring rubble bottoms at depths of at least 50 feet." (ibid.)

KrisB:
justleesa -- those look like the same ones from Hoover's book, but it's hard to tell because your photo is so small.

distinguishing marks: long dorsal spine (appears to be nearly as long as the fish itself), yellow nose, white band, orange-red band, followed by black tail section. "To about 3 in., but usually smaller in Hawai'i." (Hoover, 73).

Habitat: "Preferring rubble bottoms at depths of at least 50 feet." (ibid.)

That is them. I'm seeing them in rubble in about 30' literally within 50 feet of our moorings. Back in '99/00 when I last saw them I knew where to find 3 or so, now we're finding them frequently.

friscuba:
That is them. I'm seeing them in rubble in about 30' literally within 50 feet of our moorings. Back in '99/00 when I last saw them I knew where to find 3 or so, now we're finding them frequently.

...lucky you dive Kona... In over 35yrs of sucking air through a hose and with a reputation for having "squid-eye", I have yet to see one here....

Back
Top Bottom