Fire Dept rescues 7 - Government Cut, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
It'd be nice if any locals could share more.

MIAMI – Saturday afternoon around 4:40 p.m., Miami-Dade Fire Rescue raced to save missing divers off Government Cut. Officials say they heard the distress call and used the coordinates given to search the area. The seven divers were located about 6 miles offshore. They were then brought onboard the fire boat and taken to land. No one was hurt.

It'd be nice if any locals could share more.
Right? Near zero details in that story. There was 7 of them. Appreciate them including that much...

Near zero details in that story. There was 7 of them.
And one of them might be encouraged to post here if we could avoid flames.

And one of them might be encouraged to post here if we could avoid flames.
I only saw one Accident & Incident thread devolve in that manner, which seemed to mostly be a couple people jealous of a successful youtube channel.

My questions would be:
  • How did they end up 6 miles off-shore and stranded. Dive-boat left them? Drifted?
  • How were they found? (i.e. any safety-devices, DSMB, transmitters, etc?)

My questions would be:
  • How did they end up 6 miles off-shore and stranded.
Add to that 5-7ft seas on 11/20/22. No way it was a charter going out in that.

Add to that 5-7ft seas on 11/20/22. No way it was a charter going out in that.
Good info. However, when looking at accidents-and-incidents, you have to consider the extraordinary is sometimes true, and how the incident occurred in the first-place. For example, perhaps nearly ALL dive-charters would have noped out, but this one was shady and didn't want to give refunds, and decided to go out anyway, which is how the divers got lost and stranded.

High seas is also a good way for divers to get swept out from shore, or lose sight of shore and head in the wrong direction. So, I'm not suggesting it was a charter, but rather it could have been a charter.

Yeah, weird. Lots of links show up when searching the a few key words, but all of the articles are just lacking information. A couple have pictures of the divers on the back of the boat, but no further details.

7 divers and all their gear will take up a lot of space on a boat. So a dedicated dive boat, or a rather large private boat seem most likely. No mention of who initiated the distress call, diver with some sort of beacon, or boat captain.

Lack of info is weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom