First boat night dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys,

I am leaving for a dive trip on Thursday and would like to go on a night dive... I have lights and a tank light... but I have a question about procedures - how do the procedures for a night dive differ from that of a day dive? In other words - I don't want to do anything that's going to be dangerous or get someone hurt. Any hints? I am particularly interested in top-side boat procedures...

Actully, night diving is not that much different then diving during the day. You have your tank light. I'm assuming you have a primary AND backup light. Make sure that both lights have fresh batteries. Make sure you can get to and use your back up. I have a Q light that I wear on my mask strap. Works good.
Prior to going in the water review your signals with your buddy. Some signals are done with your lights so its best to be on the same page before you go down. In general you should only dive at night on a sight you have already gone to during the day. I'm guilty of breaking this rule. I admit it. I dove the tug STEVEN M. SELVICK up in Munising Michigan with my dive club. It was one of the most awesome dives I've ever been on.
At any rate, I have yet to find a diver who didn't enjoy night diving. It is really cool. Enjoy!!!

Jim

zboss once bubbled...
Guys,

I am leaving for a dive trip on Thursday and would like to go on a night dive... I have lights and a tank light... but I have a question about procedures - how do the procedures for a night dive differ from that of a day dive? In other words - I don't want to do anything that's going to be dangerous or get someone hurt. Any hints? I am particularly interested in top-side boat procedures...

The procedure will vary depending on how the boat is setup. If it has a lighted deck/equipment area it makes assembling your gear much easier. If not, assemble all your equipment before it gets dark if possible. Saves on battery power and lets you relax before the dive. One note of caution diving from a boat at night is to turn on your light before you hit the water. This lets you check the water for obstructions and, if you should lose your light, makes it easier to find.

As another poster already said, be sure of your signals with your buddy AND THE BOAT before you start the dive.

Phil

Hi, Zboss,
While I have done only about ten night dives, all were on trips, all were from boats, and all had basically the same topside procedures. The boat would leave the dock in time to arrive at the site before it got dark, and the divers would set up their gear, and wait for sunset. The boats had lights so you could see, in case it got too dark before it was time to get wet. The lights were dimmed, turned out, or replaced with red, to help the divers eyes adjust to the dark. During the briefing, the DM would review the procedures specific to the boat (e.g.:entering/exiting the water), site, dive operation, etc., and go over the "ettiquette" (sp?) of the use of lights while u/w. There are different ways to signal, and I have encountered some variation from place to place. While it is always a good idea to pay attention to the briefing, it is even more important on a night dive, where the procedures may be unfamiliar.
When u/w, be aware of where your light is pointed-it really gets other divers ticked off to have a light shone in their eyes, and rightfully so- and be prepared to get bumped- it seems to just happen moreso at night than during the day. Also, keep a closer than normal eye on your gauges-it can be very easy to loose track of time, air supply, and especially depth, while experiencing the night world u/w. Be sure to activate the luminiscent (sp?) faces on your gauges, if applicable, by shining your light on them before the dive.
Above all, be prepared to enjoy yourself. Night dives are definitely worth the extra equipment and effort.
Good luck,
Mike

In theory, you're not supposed to dive at night if you are not certified for it. It's one of the "statutory" types of diving that is part of the AOW certification. It's also a specialty course. Technically, with Padi, you're not supposed to dive at night without a DM (or higher), if you didn't take the specialty course.

On a side note, it's my favorite kind of diving. That being said, a lot of people have some apprehension about it. I've also noticed that, even though I love it, I do suck a little more air than during the day.

One of the most important rule about diving is to be comfortable in the water. If you're not, you'll be proned to doing stupid things because you can't think clearly.

Here are some advices:

1. At a minimum, buy a night dive manual (PADI or else). Even though night diving, like say deep diving, is really not much different than day diving, there are some stuff that become EVEN more important at night: orientation, losing your buddy, running out of air, etc...

2. Know the site where you're diving as Jim pointed it out.

3. Know your buddy. Try to dive with either a VERY experienced diver, or a DM or an instructor. Even better if they know the site really well.

4. Don't forego the buddy check and make sure you know where his/her alternate source of air is. Do have a backup light and make sure both lights are fully charged. Be familiar with the switches on the lights.

5. Stay at shallow depth and monitor your gauge for depth and air.

6. Stay closer to your buddy than you would during the day. If possible, use a buddy line. If you lose your buddy, ascend to surface immediately at normal ascent speed.

7. Discuss the signs with your buddy before going down. In the water, you'll need to light your hand for your buddy to see it. You need also to make sure you don't blind your partner, and it's more than a courtesy rule.

8. Discuss and agree with your buddy when to end the dive based on the volume of remaining air. Be more conservative than during the day.

9. If the conditions are not good (current, swell, etc.), abort the dive. There again, be more conservative than during the day.

Night diving is amazing. You'll get to see a very different marine life and fantastic colors.

As Arnaud pointed out, know your site, know your buddy, know your gear, know his gear, etc.

Some other things you might want to add...a cylum for you and your buddy attached to the 1st stage. Some zip-ties to attach the cylums.

Be sure you communicate with your buddy before you go down, plan your dive and dive your plan accordingly. Know and review your light signals with each other.

Most of all, make sure you are comfortable getting in...do not push limits, and make sure you are diving within your sense of safety. Night time is not the time to try and do something you haven't done before.

Other than that, enjoy your dives, night diving is really a lot of fun.

I've done night boat diving in Mexico and found that it was no different than from diving during the day (even topside). Had the same routine for switching out tanks and organizing the diveplan. I did, however, go with a group of people I had been diving with before and had been diving with the divemasters during the earlier part of that week. We were all pretty comfortable with each other. It'll be a lot of fun. Very beautiful and kinda eerie to me. have a great trip!

Stay very close to your buddy although unless the night is overcast you will find that you can see more than you would expect. Enjoy it. Night diving is great.

Regards

This is all good advice. I'm in the same boat [or out of it as the case may be]. I've never made a night dive but intend to in Coz in January. I'm writing down what everyone says. I have one thing that bugs me: Finding the boat and dive ladder. Do they light it up? I keep imagining swimming around looking for the boat or not being able to get to the ladder. Make me feel better, OK?:doctor:

Well, first, if you're lucky, there will be a platform, not only a ladder. And in any way, the boat will have some lights. You should be more concerned about NOT finding the boat and making sure you keep track of it at all times...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom