First but not last post in this section

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CameronMartz:
That's great! You should look into Leukemia Society or Run Injury Free for a local marathon training group. Leukemia Society has you raise money for a good cause, and in return, you get free coaching, entry, and travel to a marathon in a cool place (you get to choose from several). RIF is a little different- sometimes they're associated with a charity, and others it's just a fee-based training group (though it's like $70/yr or something small).

You'll also get to meet a lot of people like you, willing to keep you motivated and progressing towards your goal. I don't think I would've been willing to put in the training I needed for triathlon if I didn't have such great training partners.

Cameron

Thanks for the info! I will check into those.....get training and help out a good cause...that is great. Thanks again.

Kenny

Don't overlook swimming as a part of you're excercise program. It burns calories and builds muscle without the damage of high impact activities. It always amazes me to see people in scuba who will spend thousands of dollars on "life support" equipment and neglect the most important piece, their body.

I haven't. :wink: I did some stuff with the kickboard early this morning...it felt good after getting off the stair stepper..:D ......I have to work on those swims for my NAUI DM!

Kenny

I'm getting back on the program too! I've been doing better with eating healthy lately, but have continued to find good excuses not to workout! This week I have 3 Christmas parties to attend after work! and I am NOT a morning person, so morning workouts are pretty much out of the question! But I will keep fitting in some exercise when I can, and then when I get beck from Christmas at my sister's, I'll get serious! I've done it before, and I can do it again! I start with walking at a swift pace, and then work in jogging intervals. By the time I am jogging consistently, the weight melts off. My problems are in the will-power to keep going when I get where I want to be!

Good job. Getting back into shape can be rough! I'm still working on the weight.

Cameron's book is great. If you haven't picked up a copy, take time and consider it. Another book that I think is a must have is Core Performance Great exercises and the 12-week workout WILL whip you into shape, if you can coordinate your schedule to it. That's the tough part. Don't let the complicated looking workout schedule in the book scare you. There's great information to be had even if you don't follow the program

W

dpbishop:
... It burns calories and builds muscle without the damage of high impact activities...

FALLACY!! That's the equivalent of saying that just because you get certified to Scuba Dive, you will eventually drown. High Impact activities ARE damaging only when you start them WITHOUT being conditioned for it. Stress fractures in the shins, head of the femur, and the pubis of the pelvis are VERY common in those people who increase their workloads substantially without allowing their bodies to adapt, hence the need to periodize a program. It's not uncommon to hear the overweight, untrained person say "I need to lose a few pounds, I better start running". That's an injury waiting to happen.

Another factor inviting injury is the disparity that exists between aerobic capacity and the lactate treshold of the body. In America, most people over do aerobics and completely neglect functional conditioning for their musculo-skeletal system. When that happens, the cardio system can sustain work, but the musculo-skeletal system reaches fatigue first, failing to absorb shock, putting the stress on the joints and their tissues.

Common sense also dictates that WE are built to deal with impact. A quick analysis of the body shows that we are system of mostly Class III levers (where the resistance arm is always longer than the effort arm, thus allowing a great range of motion and speed at the expense of effort). This is necessary to deal with the daily occurrences of inertia and momentum. We're built to manage it quite effectively. Gravity and all its aspects are a fact of life. People get injured when they fail to take this into account. Read the works of Yuri Verkoshansky for a better understanding of impact and forces.

Coach izzy..... I like your informative posts...thanks.

I did not forget what you said a month or two back....I have been doing resistance training since that last post....and thats when I really noticed things shifting.

Thanks...:D
Kenny

Ten9T6:
Coach izzy..... I like your informative posts...thanks.

I did not forget what you said a month or two back....I have been doing resistance training since that last post....and thats when I really noticed things shifting.

Thanks...:D
Kenny

Awesome Kenny! I hope you are still getting decent sleep, even during this hectic time of the year. Such a huge factor. Have fun and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom