First Dive Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My usual boat diving stuff:
Gear bag (I use a hockey bag, don't bother even to zip it up).
Large mesh bag for carrying weights only.
"carry-on" bag like for a plane as a "dry" bag (make sure you put it in the dry section of the boat (usually below).

Obviously you'll not want to take a gear bag on your trip (unless you use it for other luggage, since you're renting scuba stuff down there). Another idea would be to pack a foldable bag of some sort inside your suitcase and use it for your rented dive gear.

I'd bring some good zip lock bags for my wallet, phone, etc. Also, a zip lock bag with a dry shirt and underwear. Plan on everything else getting soaked. I use a mesh bag for dive gear, so it can drip dry. A closing bag will just fill with water running off your wetsuit, BC, etc.

For traveling, I have an old suitcase that I put my dive gear in. I bring a couple of heavy plastic trash bags to wrap damp gear in for the trip home. Nothing says "Steal me" more than a brand new bag with an embroidered dive flag sitting on a luggage carousel at the airport, so if that's what you decide to bring, I'd pack it in my luggage until I get to my hotel, then put my gear in it.

I would never check my regulator or dive computer into the luggage service, I'd only carry it on a plane. I prefer a backpack so I can wear it and keep my hands free. Of course, your knife needs to be in your checked luggage :)

My small input.

since you're on a dive holiday, the boat may give you a plastic crate for your gear which stows under the bench seat, but like others I use a net bag for my gear which I take incase they don't have crates. I also take a large dry bag for towels sunscreen and the like. I rather than tee shirts I wear a rash vest and board shorts on the boat (have another rash vest for diving under my wetsuit)

i also take an ipod if the boat has outboards to get way from the drone ( you can't talk over them anyway) but if you can chat then I don't wear use it. In my experience people either chat a bit or lie out on the boat catching some sun reading a book

for taking my kit on a plane I have a soft hold all - I've gone through a fair few before I got the perfect one for me which is actually a dive bag. I tend to go on liveaboards where stowing a hard case in your cabin is hard because of space. If I'm going to a land based dive centre then I have a rolling dive bag.

there is a great thread pinned somewhere around the board on liveaboards - basically the thing that is most true (from experience) is that before you go, lay out everything you're taking, discard 50%. And then discard a further 25% of the remaining and you'll still have too much. It is similar for most dive resorts, obviously if you're going to a 5* hotel you may need some extra evening wear but not too much

all my gear goes in the hold - with the exception of camera, mac and iPad which is hand luggage. Have a padded reg case and nothing has ever been broken or damaged

make sure you take spares for your kit, say clips or springs for your fins, a spare mask that fits etc generally dive centres can't carry spares for every type of equipment, only the brands that they sell, and not a huge set of spares then. Sure you can rent a replacement, but when you have your own kit you like to dive it

above all, have fun meet we people and share new experiences.

Ps. Put up a post trip repot on Belize, always wondered if it is as good as the brochures make out

It really depends on the size of the boat. If it's 2 to 2 1/2 hrs then I suspect it's one of the larger boats. But most boats have their own protocol for large bags. Some have you gear up the. Leave the bag on the dock or at the shop. Others stow the bags on some place on the boat but then cumbersome to get things during the ride.

I've taken rolling ruffles but usually when carrying two full sets dive gear. When not taking that much will opt for smaller mesh duffel. Despite the tropics something warm like a sweatshirt is recommended even if seems hot. You'd be surprised how cold you feel when wet even if hot tropics.

In addition to mesh duffel I also take a dry sack big enough change clothes and a towel. If your not careful on a boat everything gets soaked. Ziploc bags are great for keeping things dry but I'm always afraid if getting my electronics crushed. I use a Pelican hard case big enough to hold my iPhone and credit cards and some cash. Much better protection if some idiot drops heavy object on your Ziploc Baggie. You have a dry crushed iPod.

But when all is said and done nobody can tell by your bag or what you bring on the boat if you are a new diver. It's your actions and diving that do. Be polite. Don't brag, be social, and nobody will care. Most divers like to give advice to a newbie who is asking questions and willing to listen. We all like to welcome newbies to the addiction

Have a great time.

I just bring a backpack with my gear in it (well fins maybe not ....) to carry on the boats. If you have a roller with more gear, they should be able to store it for the day at least, if not your whole trip if desired.

Depending on the boat, there is usually a spot for a small bag to be stowed, as you will be wearing most of your items anyways.

You can pick up small/med sized drybags from outdoors stores, or use ziplock styled bags (a half dozen medium sized ziplock a last a while)

Bring tunes, outboards are loud, wind is loud, as are some divers on occasion. Especially for long boat rides. I usually keep the ear closest to the bow plugged to stop the wind while chatting with people towards the stern of boats.

Bring a good windbreaker/rain shell. Overcast, wind and waves chills you down pretty quick.

As for sun exposure, for me down in the Caribbean is usually 15-25 minutes of sun, and I burn. I usually SPF up before hitting the boat (don't forget ankles/feet, back of knees, ears etc ... Everywhere, and reapply once dry after every dive) and enjoy a few minutes of sun on the way out, then cover up (long shirt, pants, hat) for the rest of the day. The ride back I'll get a little more sun. Usually somewhere is a little crispy (face/neck), especially if it is a really clear day on open boats.

Hats .... If its not snug, it's in the water ....

Enjoy Belize!

BRad

Big thanks to everyone who answered my questions, really appreciate it! I decided on the Stahlsac Panama Mesh Backpack- looks like it will be perfect for the boat and big enough to store what I need, also packable. @Industrious95: We are definitely packing our gear for the plane (travel) in an old roller duffel, let's pray no one steals it!

I have a cord/string that goes under my chin to keep the hat on.

Do be careful when you're diving in Belize. There was a post a while back called Bent in Belize, or something like that. Don't let that be you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom