First Dives with 50mm and E-520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm feeling pretty chuffed this morning. I won this auction on Ebay NEW OLYMPUS PPO-E03 UNDERWATER LENS PORT - eBay (item 180346961983 end time Apr-22-09 09:31:02 PDT) I've been shooting the 50mm through the standard PPO-E05 port since last year. I just purchased a 1.4 teleconverter and due to the excellent price I got on this port I can how get the extention needed before my trip in July. The cheapest I've seen these ports is around $400. I just saw it hit the mail yesterday and it has a tracking number......I feel like the Grinch after stealing Christmas!

That is a great deal. I'm interested to see how your shots turn out with a teleconverter. That extra reach would be nice.

I might get a shot in June in Florida, certainly in Bonaire in July. Yes, I'm going to be geeked to get back in the water. Its been almost a year now. Anyway, I'm going to adapt a woody's diopter to the end of the macro port and see how that all works out. Did you make your steady stick yet?

Haven't had a chance yet to make the steady stick but if the surf is down tomorrow I might get a dive in. I have some old tents so I should be able to dig up a pole. Last weekend there was no surge at depth so it was a piece of cake to get focus plus the place I have been diving lately is a sand bottom so no reef to stay off of. I hope to get a warm water dive in sometime in late summer but I'm not sure where I'm going yet. If money is tight I'll probably drive down baja in my van and do a camping/dive trip to Loreto. Went there last summer and had a great time and some very nice diving.

Brian

That might be a little more dangerous with the problems down there..no? I've done the point at Los Cabos which was a pretty cool dive. Got an arms length from a female seal which was the highlight.

Yea, could be more dangerous, at least the crossing part. I think once you are out of the border zone things are ok. I'm hoping I can afford to take the family somewhere via plane but will have to see how things go. We see lots of seals/sea lions around San Diego so while its still a great encounter I find the colorful fish and corals most interesting on the warm water dives. I have still yet to get a good sea lion shot, they move very fast and are tough to shoot when the water is not really clear.

Brian

Drive down to La Paz...I've heard there is some really nice diving down that way. Anyway, got the port in the mail today and it was perfect. Even had the manual focus gear with it.

Loreto is about 3 hrs north of La Paz and the diving is great. Last year I was considering driving down to La Paz but the diving and atmosphere in Loreto was so good there was no reason to keep going. I'm really enjoying my 50 mm, the results seem much better than the 14-54 although sometimes I miss the flexibility of the 14-54. I look forward to getting a teleconverter at some point as well, not sure if I want to go with the 1.4 or the 2.0.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom