First DPV!?!?! Buying Used or New

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the quick hijack.... Hi Randy, Hope the H-160 is still doing well for you.

Hi Tammy,

Having a blast with it. We've done a few open ocean wreck down to 140' and absolutely love the scooters for navigating the wrecks. The H160 is farkled out with 2 Sola 1200's and a GP, bottom timer and compass now. Kates Mako is bumped up with a thicker nose peice and bigger batteries. So were pretty much set for a fun season of scootering off Va, NC and Florida now. :cool2:

To the OP -- according to your profile, you'd be using the scooter in open water. If that's the case, size and weight DO matter, because space on boats is limited, and boat crews aren't always happy to drag 70 pound scooters back on board for you. Going through surf with a long, heavy scooter can be a challenge, if you are shore diving.

In addition, scooter size and shape has a impact on what the scooter will or can do. Short, light scooters like Sierras are very nimble, and are great for doing loops and rolls and general scooter shenanigans. Longer, more massive scooters are more stable and better for long straight running, like power tunnel in caves, or using a scooter from shore to reach what are normally boat dive sites.

Battery technology is important, too. Lead-acid batteries aren't very common in scooters these days, because the batteries are so massive and heavy to deliver the needed power, but such batteries tolerate deep discharge repeatedly much better than NiMH or LiIon ones do. LiIon packs much more punch for the same battery size and weight, but scooter-sized LiIon batteries are VERY expensive, and cannot fly (over the lithium limit).

Scooter speed control can vary by model. I like my Sierra, which has five speeds you can select with the trigger, so you can change what you are doing very quickly. Other scooters are set up more for you to select a speed and stay with it, which is ideal if you are running a team together over a long distance.

If you are looking for an open water scooter that is easy to get on and off a boat and will make it easy to play, I'd recommend a used Sierra. It's hard to beat the value.

Beano has a good point, too -- remember that it's very easy to get yourself into a lot of trouble with a scooter. Running rule of thirds on the battery is an awfully good idea, so that your buddy has enough juice to tow you home if the scooter fails. You can get a long ways from home very quickly on one of those things!

WOW, i kinda took my eye of this thread, forgot i put it up :p

im interested in a scooter for long shore dives, 2 - 3 hours tho i understand i wont be riding it constantly. depth is nothing past recreational for now.

ive actually been on the hunt for something along the lines of a Gavin 35ah or 42ah, i started reading up on the SLA scooters after i posted this thread and thats kinda y i forgot about it....

i dont really think ill be boat diving tho at least not in a while. the scooter would be to big....

any one know where i can get something like that? maybe even a long SS UV??...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom