First Drysuit Experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fencingfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In planning to take an ice diving course this winter, I took a drysuit course this past weekend. We were at Back Beach, water temp 52F, vis 5-18', max depth 22', bottom time around 30 minutes for each dive. The suit I used Saturday was a high density neoprene that was leaky and made me wonder what the big deal about drysuit diving was. I was wet and cold the entire time and it just felt weird. Sunday I was using a different high density neoprene suit with the nylon diamond tuff coating that was not leaky. The first dive I was significantly under-weighted and spent the dive toting large rocks around with me and being stressed from being too buoyant, but the second dive went much better, I was able to enjoy being warm and dry and fiddle with buoyancy control, and practice ascents and descents with the suit. Geez, now that I've experienced diving and not being cold, it's going to be hard to get back into a wetsuit! So now I'm in the market for a suit, going to try one on tomorrow and hoping it fits!

Happy you finally did... I know quite a lof of people who would not even have tried a second time, but you're right... once you know the dark side, tough to get back :wink:
I found a solution... I have a semi-dry suit for the best months (here: June-September, in Belgium: April-November), but the rest of the time, I will stick to my dry suit !
There are advantages to both... but when it's cold, warmer is the only advantage that counts !

Take your time and make sure you choose one that suits you, this is a big step and you do not change it often :wink:

Ice Diving is on my todo list for this winter as well :D

Have fun !!

got my dry suit 2 years ago have not dove wet since. my friends think im nuts in july august but i use a lighter under garment.it takes a few dives to get used to, but now its like second nature to me. stick with it its worth the trouble. also now you can dive n.e. all year :)

I got my first DS this year a Whites Fusion DS which is great and has received extensive positive reviews on SB. Not only do you stay warm your bouyancy improves tremendously by shifting the air in the suit and maintaining a nice horizontal plane. It takes a number of dives to get used to it and I am still learning but would not go back, especially diving up here in the NE. If you would like to check it out and dive next week, I have time off work, drop me a PM. It gets a little harder finding dive buddies this time of year. :reaper:

Dry suits are the way to go around here, except for 3-4 months of the year. Even during the summer if your going below 100' the dry suit is a better choice. I like when I'm done and take the suit off and I'm still warm in the frezzin' air.

I dive all year in a dry suit...winter bundle up..summer light sweat pants long sleeve t shirt

I tried on a suit last week (Bare D6 high density neoprene) and it fit perfectly! I got a great deal on it and I used it all weekend at Back Beach. It was a great weekend of diving. Now I just need some fins to fit over the drysuit boots. I love my jet fins for my wetsuit, but the sizing is so awkward with dry boots. Anyone know anything about the Tusa SF-6 fins?

Congrats! Water temp will no longer shorten your dives! :D

I love being warm in the water; I no longer own a wetsuit.... :wink:

Since you like them, why don't you check out some used Jet Fins in a size that fits your drysuit boots? There are a couple dozen pairs on eBay right now. :)

Dave C

I love my 7mm farmer john wetsuit. Tried dry - I'm staying wet.

On rough jetty dives when you are being drug (or dragging yourself) over the rocks and barnacles (usually on my reinforced bottom :) ), there is just too much potential damage.

And I'm warm enough for 2 dives, ending with a total of 2 hours in the water of the cold murky Pacific Northwest.

I have no ill will towards those that dive different than myself - just don't let yourself get enticed towards needless expense and gadgets. A drysuit adds both, and the more gadgets that are added are more "mechanical devices that may fail" and spoil the dive.

P.S. If I were doing an ice diving course or diving regularly our high altitude "freezing cold lakes", I would dive with a drysuit!!! I am not a polarbear.

there is just too much potential damage.
Drysuit material makes a big difference... I had a heck of a time putting a tiny hole in my Bare HD trilam suit when I tried installed my p-valve, and I was using a brand new sharp hole punch, a 5 lb. mallet, and a hardwood block. I'm a big guy, and it took 30 heavy swings to punch through. Even then, I needed an X-acto knife to finish it. Needless to say, "damage" is not something I'm particularly concerned about.
I am not a polarbear.
Drysuits aren't just for cold, they're also for deep. There are solid arguments to be made for consistent buoyancy at depth, and redundant buoyancy if BCs rupture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom