First Gag Today, Knocked His lights Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Had a great day diving today. Took my first gag with the steel. I really really enjoy free shafting. Didn't miss a single shot. I'm looking forward to when DumpsterDiver is back on the board. That guy has given me so much great advice both publicly and privately, a lot I put to use today and it makes a world of difference. Anyway, pretty stoked, still have a lot to learn and need more experience, but it was a really nice day. Tons of life swarming, giant angelfish and schools of butterfly's everywhere, the spots we dove today looked really healthy. I'll have to get some video up.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's a short video of that first dive. Viz deteriorated on the second dive and I need to figure out a solution to my camera moving down on my GoPro mask. Anyway enjoy.

*FYI, For anyone who read my near misses account, I was buddy diving. Buddy was behind me and not in the video for obvious reasons.

Nice shooting.

Tighten the screw a bit more on the Gopro mount. I've done many dives and haven't had that issue. Occasionally I'll have to get the screwdriver to undo it post dive. I got the Gomask with metal mount, so careful if you are using a plastic mount.

BTW. One more piece of advice. When it becomes time to replace your bands, try the ones with the SS cable wishbones instead of wire. Over time, the metal fatigues, and could break. SS cable gives you warning when the strands start to fray.

Freeshafting is definitely the way to go around here. I need to start making a rule on my boat. 90% or more of your shots should be done freeshafting. I hate undoing the tangles.

Thanks Brian.

I have the GoMask with the stainless steel mount as well. Despite tightening it down as hard as possible, even with a screw driver, the camera still moves. There may be just a sliver of too much play between the mount and housing tabs. That and coupled with the fact the stainless steel doesn't really compress on to the acrylic, I had to improvise.

I usually keep scraps of things before they head to the dump. In this case it was a scrap of ABS plastic and a box cutter that did the trick after about and hour and two attempts. But now it's perfect. Positive stops on both sides so the camera doesn't budge. Should have thought of this sooner, now I have one less thing to think about on a dive.

image.jpg

Last edited:
First of all good job on your first gag.

Looks like you had your safety on and missed your first attempt on him. IMHO the only safety you need if your trigger finger.

I applaud your patience waiting for the right shot profile and then stoning him. You are a freeshafter.

In the beginning he was asking for you to unicorn him. Next time, give him what he's asking for. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom