Question First P-valve, just want to clarify some things

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rverma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my new drysuit and had an unbalanced light monkey p-valve installed after reading the pros and cons on this board. I've been poring over various threads and I think I have my answers, but I want to verify so I don't turn my drysuit into a wetsuit.

1) The bolt doesn't have to be removed from the suit, only opened when you want to pee?
2) Once the condom catheter is connected, the bolt could be removed entirely for the dive?
3) If I installed a quick disconnect that seals, does it seal with enough force that water won't leak in at depth if I don't have the catheter hooked up AND I have the bolt open/lost? I'm thinking to install a QD both for simplifying getting hooked up, but also as a failsafe for the bolt becoming loose while I'm not connected...
4) I have read some conflicting info regarding priming the catheter before descent - some say it MUST be done or the squeeze will be uncomfortable and will make it nearly impossible to pee through the tube. Others say they just leave the bolt closed and open it when they start peeing.
-Priming totally makes sense if I want to descend with the bolt open or removed.
-I can also see leaving the bolt closed and relying on internal suit pressure to prevent the tube from collapsing (I think?) Then opening the bolt immediately after you start peeing so the urine floods the tube to prevent collapse while pressure equalizes. Does this really work?

Thanks!

1. Correct, it does not need to be removed
2. yes, I never have the bolt in the suit. With it removed, you can just pee at will
3. Yes, the NC QC will seal out the water
4. Non balanced valves need to be primed if you have a bolt closed. With it closed, as you descend, the pressure will attempt to put your penis inside of the hose. If there is enough pressure, it will succeed.
If you don't have the bolt installed, you don't need to prime it as it will allow seawater back in the hose to equalize itself. This isn't ideal and you will wind up with a condom full of ocean water.

1. Correct, it does not need to be removed
2. yes, I never have the bolt in the suit. With it removed, you can just pee at will
3. Yes, the NC QC will seal out the water
4. Non balanced valves need to be primed if you have a bolt closed. With it closed, as you descend, the pressure will attempt to put your penis inside of the hose. If there is enough pressure, it will succeed.
If you don't have the bolt installed, you don't need to prime it as it will allow seawater back in the hose to equalize itself. This isn't ideal and you will wind up with a condom full of ocean water.
Thank you!
I'm not sure what a NC quick connect would be... Is this a NC QC? And when you say you never have the bolt in, do you leave it out even when you're not personally plumbed in because of a NC QC?
1704117482435.png

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes sea water in the condom not ideal? Cold? Potentially dislodging the glue?
And to verify my understanding, once you pee through the tube at the surface with the bolt open/removed, sea water will be unable to enter the tube while descending beyond the first few inches?

Thank you!
I'm not sure what a NC quick connect would be... Is this a NC QC? And when you say you never have the bolt in, do you leave it out even when you're not personally plumbed in because of a NC QC?
View attachment 818622
Forgive my ignorance, but what makes sea water in the condom not ideal? Cold? Potentially dislodging the glue?
And to verify my understanding, once you pee through the tube at the surface with the bolt open/removed, sea water will be unable to enter the tube while descending beyond the first few inches?
NC is normally closed. The ones with the check valve.
I don't use the QC fittings on my suit with an unbalnaced valve. No reason that you can't, i just never saw the need to purchase one.
I haven't dove a drysuit without being plumbed in. If I am getting in my suit, I am plumbing into my suit.
If I was to dive it for some reason without, I would need to install the bolt. It is in the little zipper flap of my left pocket where it has been for years.
UTIs are a thing, even for men. If I can not have seawater in my urethra, that is always my preference.
And correct, if it is primed, there is already fluid in the hose, pressure won't suck other fluid in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom