First time "canister" light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lot of replies since I last posted. Thanks to all.

There are definitely some advantages of purchasing in Norway. The consumer warranty of minimum 2 years for "consumer" goods like cellphones and 5 years for other items (not sure where a dive light fall, but my guess is 5 years). But you do have to pay 25% VAT and whatever the store wants to make.

Ex.

Halcyon Flare (using exchange rate 25/11) - Norway : ~$1350, US - $969

That's a 400 dollar difference. Lots of goodies to be bought.

When it comes to umbilical vs not, I can definitely see advantages to both. And there are options out there that can allow for both. As the future will include a GUE-F course. The goal is to pass, but the ultimate goal is the Tech/Cave pass, so an umbilical and goodman are a must.

After reading all the replies here and scouring other sites, the MB-SUB VB-50 does seem to be a very very nice option. It ticks all the boxes (even modular with Photon Battery). The fact that its German engineering should maybe speak for its self :wink:

I also came across some threads by Lucca Brassi and the engineer in me got excited....... a quick model in Inventor was made and I had a battery canister (even got co-workers interested). I have access to rather large machinery (not that I know how to use them, but everyone can be bribed :wink: ) so there are possibilities. Just need to choose materials, battery etc etc etc.

Lot of replies since I last posted. Thanks to all.

There are definitely some advantages of purchasing in Norway. The consumer warranty of minimum 2 years for "consumer" goods like cellphones and 5 years for other items (not sure where a dive light fall, but my guess is 5 years). But you do have to pay 25% VAT and whatever the store wants to make.

Ex.

Halcyon Flare (using exchange rate 25/11) - Norway : ~$1350, US - $969

That's a 400 dollar difference. Lots of goodies to be bought.

When it comes to umbilical vs not, I can definitely see advantages to both. And there are options out there that can allow for both. As the future will include a GUE-F course. The goal is to pass, but the ultimate goal is the Tech/Cave pass, so an umbilical and goodman are a must.

After reading all the replies here and scouring other sites, the MB-SUB VB-50 does seem to be a very very nice option. It ticks all the boxes (even modular with Photon Battery). The fact that its German engineering should maybe speak for its self :wink:

I also came across some threads by Lucca Brassi and the engineer in me got excited....... a quick model in Inventor was made and I had a battery canister (even got co-workers interested). I have access to rather large machinery (not that I know how to use them, but everyone can be bribed :wink: ) so there are possibilities. Just need to choose materials, battery etc etc etc.

Don't go there! It will never end..trust me! [emoji113] [emoji85] i think lucca can agree on that :p

If possible, test dive a VB-50 before you decide. All the quantifiable specs are good, but non quantifiable spec can be very personal here. I have a GUE-F team mate with VB-50. I have seen it many time in action and dove it myself. I like everything about it except the beam property. When in tightest focus, the team is a defined square shape with little to no side spill/halo. When defocus, the beam becomes circular, but still very defined with little to no side spill/halo outside of the beam circle. It is probably the mean reason I didn't get one.

I have also played with Halcyon Focus in a dive shop, but haven't dove it. It seems Focus beam is very similar to VB-50. I think Focus is not for me either.

That is a good point you raise and I have heard it before. Can a lightbeam be to tight.

I have seen some pictures of the VB-50, and at the tightest focus there is very little spill or corona (not to familiar with the technical terms). However wouldn't it allow for good communication given a larger distance between dive teams?

I am sure that you can set it at 15-20 degr, which I imagine would give a nice everyday beam.

I will try and ask here where I live if anyone has one, although I doubt it. I have mainly seen LM and Halcyon HIDs.

I don't know where in Norway you live, but fue has never been difficult. Have you asked if you could try the halcyons?

That is a good point you raise and I have heard it before. Can a lightbeam be to tight.

I have seen some pictures of the VB-50, and at the tightest focus there is very little spill or corona (not to familiar with the technical terms). However wouldn't it allow for good communication given a larger distance between dive teams?

I am sure that you can set it at 15-20 degr, which I imagine would give a nice everyday beam.

I will try and ask here where I live if anyone has one, although I doubt it. I have mainly seen LM and Halcyon HIDs.

VB-50 does NOT have much corona at all at any focus setting. Just the hot spot gets bigger (and dimmer). Compared to a HID 21W, HID offer a more intense hot sport in the center of the beam and a gradual dimming corona. I think HID still does better in signaling, but the side spill still illuminate some peripheral for say reading gauges.

I have spoken with Fue, I live on the westcoast and to be fair I feel it would be wrong to have them send me one and then say thanks and by in the States. They were actually recommending the Flare as a good option.

eelnoraa - This does raise some questions to the VB-50......... feel like I am going one step forward and two back in choosing a light :wink:

Anyone in the Twin-cities area with Halcyon Flare/Focus or VB-50 I can take a look at :wink:

Back
Top Bottom