First time in Cayman Islands!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k8chen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning my first trip to Little Cayman beginning of November and I am counting on some good advice from all of you... (or at least lots of opinions!)

We are two couples in their 60s, on a budget, like privacy, all vegetarian so will try to cook our own food. We have looked at all-inclusives but as they get more booked the prices go up and it didnt really appeal.
We are looking at three VRBO properties, one in Blossom Village, one in Bloody Bay Reserve and the other farther on the north coast.

A few questions:
1) Is November weather iffy? Looks like we will be going right after the low season.
2)Can you get veggies in the market? We will try to schlep some from Grand Cayman when we come...but we are there for a week so....
3) Pros and cons staying on south or north side?
4) Getting tickets has been a nightmare so far. I understand from other posts that we need a two hour layover in GC just to be safe (and to get supplies???) Is there a preferable time to arrive on the island?
5) Any other pointers?
Thanks!

A few responses:
1. Looking for a decent supply of fresh veggies on Little Cayman I think will be iffy if not no existent. Others can chime in as I was only there once but the market we went into was extremely limited, like the small rural camp store in NE. Mostly can goods and alcohol. On a budget, trying to cook for a week or more and vegetarian, I might pick a different island.
2. If sticking with the LC plan, have you looked at Paradise Villas? I believe they have kitchens, on the water. Buildings are units of two so that could work well for two couples each taking a unit. Good onsite restaurant and walking distance to the extremely limited market we went to. We stayed there once and thoroughly enjoyed it.
3. On flights, look at Cayman Air and flying out of JFK, you will get two bags included and you can bring a ton of food down as long as you follow the food rules.

Good Luck.

It's been a little while since we went, but we stayed here: Welcome to Paradise Villas on Little Cayman Island . We are also vegetarian, and didn't have too much trouble. Then again, we're no foodies. Paradise Villas is right next to a restaurant with decent pizza (we're not vegan). The general store on the island, which is like a medium-sized 7-11, had enough a small selection of fruit, veg, and bread. Not top quality or anything, and it depends on how long it's been since the weekly food barge delivery but it was adequate to get by for a week. We also bought some canned goods (beans) and some dry box (pasta). The kitchenette at Paradise Villas was good enough to cook some small meals. We had a great time - the diving was excellent. I've always wanted to go back, and in fact this April I'm taking a group of 20. We'll be staying at one of the AI, though, since I believe I'll be the only vegetarian in the group :)

I have never tried to do any cooking on LC, and I am a dedicated omnivore, so I will let the previous two poster and any that follow cover that. I can speak to the weather, and in November, the operative word to describe it is "iffy". It can be very calm and pleasant...or it can be nasty with cool winds, rain, and high seas. If you are looking to specifically dive the Bloody Bay Wall (the best part of LC), it is on the north side of the island. So any wind from any direction from ENE around the north side to W will put you into seas along the north wall that will make diving there anywhere from uncomfortable to impossible. From mid October until about the end of the year, there are frequent periods where the wind will blow from those directions for anything from a few days to a few weeks at a time. We went in late October once and managed 2 days out of 6 where the north side was divable. The week before we were there and the two weeks after we were there, the dive boats did not go to the north side at all. You also have the possibility of tropical weather systems to worry about...from a statistical standpoint, in the last few decades, the Caymans are more likely to get hit by a tropical storm/hurricane in October/November than they are in August/September, even though September is the traditional "peak" of hurricane season.

Now with all that negative stuff said, there are some positives. First of all, the diving on the south side is still very good, so long as the seas and currents aren't washing out the visibility too badly. Also, with the northerly winds come cooler temps. When we are there during our traditional months of August or early September, it can be VERY hot in the afternoon and the sun is very intense. Our trip in late October saw temperatures that were much cooler and it was much more pleasant to go out and explore the island a bit more in the afternoons.

As for accomodations, if you were looking for shore diving or snorkeling, pending good weather and seas obviously, locations on the Bloody Bay Wall or Jackson's Bight area would be best. But the same weather concerns apply as they would to getting dive boats around there. Locations on the south side will be more protected from weather generally and most are protected from higher seas by a reef and lagoon. The Blossom Village location will be closer to the store and the only restaurant, as well as the other resorts. So it really all depends on what you plan to do with your time and how much you will be upset if you can't dive the Bloody Bay Wall potentially due to bad seas.

That was our weather experience in early December. When we arrived the boats had not been out most of the week before. We were only there for a long weekend. We did get out but it was rough. We actually had the boat break a mooring line with all divers underwater. 3-4' seas, drifting boat and divers and close to shore was . . . interesting.

While it does happen, it is actually quite rare for them to not be able to go out at all. If that happens, it is usually because of a strong swell coming from the south right onto the reef that makes getting out of the channel too dangerous. In those cases, they will sometimes take folks around in the van and shore dive the north side. It is more common that time of year for wind with a northerly component to wash out the diving on the north side of the island. If you get a wind out of the NE or ENE, it can make visibility on the south side sites pretty crappy, as it brings all the longshore flow from the surge on the reef out of the lagoon right over the top of the dive sites. In those cases, you can still dive, but the viz can be less than stellar.

I was in Little Cayman last week and stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort. I am gluten free and another in the group is vegetarian. We had all 3 meals at the Resort and the staff was very accommodating to our dietary needs.
Supplies are limited at the grocery store on LC and fresh vegetables even more so. There is also a weight limit on baggage going to LC, which I believe is 50# per person. I believe you will need more than a 2 hour layover to be able to leave the airport, shop and return.
I book flights with Cayman Airways from Tampa to Grand to Little Cayman.
Be sure to reserve your diving in advance.
If you have any questions, just ask. I have been to LC 20 times, was there last week and can't wait to return.

I would imagine the choice of food at LCBR would be sufficient to meet your requirements, perhaps not gourmet, but at least acceptable. The rooms are fine, I like ocean view, the dive operator, very good.

Thanks all! It looks like the ticket prices are just too crazy now...so I am now looking at Roatan...I know, I know...so many places to dive and not enough time (or$$$!)

We were on Little Cayman the first week of November last year and the weather was great. There was one rainy day but it didn't stop the boats from going out. The visibility was usually around 60 to 75 ft. We stayed at LCBR and the food was very good but we are not vegetarians. There is a nice little store nearby but not a large supply of fresh goods.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom