First time out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was WAY fun and I'll have to do it again and again. Here is my TWO day report...

I pulled into town yesterday @11:30 and topped off my 130s (Nox 36) and headed to pick up a line and shock cord for my gun. Chip meets me there and evaluates the gun with me. He was there when I won it, so he was glad to see me put it into use.

We talked about how light the gun was. As Chad suggested, Chip thought it was a bit light but serviceable. Good to learn on. We talked about the pros and cons with having a line on the spear and in the end, I thought it would be simpler to free shaft smaller species and work my way up. No need to go for Moby Dick on the first go-around.

I hit the boat @1:00 and we were soon underway. Chip and Howarde would be joining me the next day and I was having a rough day, so I decided just to have fun and lobster. Somehow, I had forgotten my regulator in Winter Park so we had to scrounge a bit! Thanks to Brad for having an extra!!! BOY did I pass some nice sized hogs and snappers. I only got two lobster, but I had two dives for 1:10 and 1:21 and a lot of fun hanging with Anthony. Even with the gear snafu, I was relaxed as ever in the water.

Brad Nolan and I had dinner with Annie and Roger, a couple who frequently dives with Brad, while our tanks were being filled at Divers Direct. The Seafood got me ready for the next day. We picked the tanks up just before closing as promised. The staff was courteous and helpful as usual with special thanks to Amanda!

At HowardE's place we found that the ScubaBoard server had crashed!:shocked2: We spent a few hours trying to fix it and had to give up: we were both too tired to think straight! We woke early and got back on it. We had more problems, but it helped us to identify the real issue and resolve it. HowardE put the final piece in that puzzle and we were UP. YAY!!! I was going to be able to dive rather than drive back to Winter Park and deal with this. We called Brad and told him we would be a few minutes late. Loaded with all of the tanks and Howie's gear (Including his Wong Speargun), we head to Brad's place and arrive right at 9:00. Everyone helps us get all the tanks on the boat and we are off!

The first dive is heady with anticipation as we gear up. People are giving me a lot of "Oh yeah..." tips and while they are all great, it's hard to sort through all of them. I am first to splash and head to the bottom. Chip sees and catches the first lobster right off and I was having some mask fogging problems. It took a few minutes, but I finally took my mask off and cleaned it at depth with my tongue. You have to be able to see if you're gonna shoot! :D

We passed a lot of shorts, Chip caught another couple of lobsters and so did Howie. Finally Howie points out a legal hog and I start the chase. If you know me or have dove with me, you know that I am a patient diver. So, I had to smile as I heard Howie yell through his reg "Don't shoot yet! Get closer!!!" That was my plan all along. If I missed I knew that I would NEVER hear the end of it. I slowed my pace and breathing and anticipated the fish's moves. It was zig zagging along the reef and I could see where it would empty out to the sand. My gun was about 6" away when I gently pulled the trigger. The spear hit behind the left eye, passed out the mouth and lodged in the sand. The Hog barely moved. My first shot was a stoner. That was lucky!

I had a double ender on my gun and clipped it to my BC. I grabbed the spear and stuck my knife into the fish's brain. There was absolutely no movement so I slipped it into my catch bag. Everything was going so smoothly at this point... until I reached for my gun. It wasn't there! Apparently I missed the clip on my BC. CRUD. Chip signaled that it had floated off. He was way to far to catch it. Note to self... when things are going to smoothly, there is something WRONG. Second note to self... guns become buoyant after you shoot them. Third note to self... A line to the spear would have prevented this from happening.

So, I had to laugh. I caught a couple of lobster to round out my dive. It was fun and one could argue that this in indeed the most lethal gun in existence: It has a %100 kill to shot ratio. Wait a minute: SO DO I! :D

Unfortunately, I am diving in caves tomorrow so the fish is in the freezer. I'll eat it sometime this week! I learned a lot today. I had a lot of fun. Anyone have a gun I can borrow? :D

Pete,

Well where's the pic?

Congrats on the hogfish - for sure nobody can accuse you of pulling the trigger too soon!

Hmmm... a practice shot would certainly have helped with the floating gun issue.

Ways to deal with it while freeshafting:
Use a butt weighted gun when on scuba.
Or with a possitively buoyant gun, dive your arm through a gun band - no clips. Practice it on land and in the water before shooting a fish. It has to be automatic.
Ascend immediately after losing a gun, you can often see it from below in clear water, or a good captain can often find it once you're up and he knows to look for it. Was this SE FL?

Freeshafts should be at least 48" long, but even that's short. 58" to 65" is best.

Want to get a few divers together and hit the Gulf off Tampa Bay for some shooting training?
I'll run a SB Special... but you have to come!

You can try out any or all of my 4 Wong guns from 50" to 57" or a 52" Sea Hornet. Freeshafters, line guns, side shaft guns and some with light mounts. You'll probably fill your hog limit & come close on snapper too. Probably make 25 to 30 shots. Grouper might show up, and if they do you'll have a gun that can reach out and touch!

The best place to learn is shallow, about 50 to 60 feet over here, so you can concentrate on hunting instead of the dive.

Chad

Good report. Sorry about the gun, but some good eats in your freezer. If I were you, I'd shoot as many different guns as possible before making a purchase. Going with Chad would be a great experience, just be prepared to get hooked :)

I do a lot of spearing on both the east coast and the gulf. I can let you know when there is a spot open, if you're interested.

Willem

....... so the fish is in the freezer......

We're going to need a picture of the inside of your freezer because fisherman tend to enjoy long lengths, you know.....

And as a secondary back up to Chad's invitation, you have an open invite to dive with us most every weekend in Jupiter. We have more guns for you to try than a Shoot Straight store.

Attachments

• guns.jpg
    guns.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 47
Want to get a few divers together and hit the Gulf off Tampa Bay for some shooting training?
I'll run a SB Special... but you have to come!
Now this sounds righteous. FWIW, Chad and I had set this up one year for the day before Invade the Keys, but I had to go rescue one of my Advisors whose car had burned up.

I really appreciate ALL of the invitations... maybe I should keep this thread going as a "So, you want to learn how to Spearfish" thread. A lot of people have no clue how to get started.

Glad you have made your migration to the "dark side" Pete.It is not for everyone but it is a great way to meet other divers and bring back groceries.Congrats on a excellent choice of fish to start with.Still my favorite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom