First-time scuba gear shopper needs fin sizing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomihodai

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to quit the rental habit and buy some scuba gear for my dive vacations. Unfortunately my LDS is not very local with a limited selection so I can't put on my dive boot and expect to try on open heel fins that I've read good reviews about so I'll be ordering fins online. I have 5mm Cressi Ultraspan boots size S (I'm a 7/39/25 in US/EU/JP sizes) and I'm looking at the Aeris Accel, Hollis F1 or F2 or Poeidon Tridents. Should I order the same size as my shoe or should I expect to go up a size if I'm using boots with a fairly thick sole and not dive socks?

Each fin has its own sizing peculiarities, you cannot make generalities among different fins. Your best bet is once you decide what fin you want then call the dive shop for their recommendation. I would think with 5 mm hard sole boots the Hollis and Poseidon fins would be the same size as these are fins marketed to technical divers. Not so sure of the Aeris, you may want read the threads on those.

I'd say go up a size, but see what the return policy is because each fin fits differently.

I wear Large ScubaPro Seawing Novas with my hard soled neoprene boots and need XL's for my rock boots.

I wear XL ScubaPro Jets with my hard soled boots, and XXL's for my rock boots.

I am a US Men's size 8 or 9 depending on the make. I have a set of Tusa 5mm hard sole booties, and some Bare 7mm's. My Hollis F1 Yellow Tips in Size Regular seem to be about right, depending on how much wiggle room you like. My SP Jet Fins in a size Large are really too small for me, though they may do real well over a size 7.

If you go new, double check the return policy. I recommend Scubatoys. Or, buy used and sell what doesn't fit for pretty much what you paid for it. At this point, I'm almost convinced there is actually a very limited amount of scuba equipment out there, we all just keep cycling the same stuff around.

Good luck!

Thanks for your answers so far! The posts here and on other threads such as for the Aries Accel have been a great help. I'm still wavering on which to choose but I'll update on my experience when I've had to try out the stuff.

I'll be going to Japan next week so I'm dropping by a dive shop to pick up some fins. I confirmed they have stock on the following fins:

Scubapro Seawing Nova, white (for visibility and photography). These fins weren't initially on my shortlist since I wanted a standard paddle fin to add more kicks to my repertoire and I read Seawing Novas were a little more difficult for frog and back kicks. The built-in bungee strap is a huge plus,

Gull Super Mew, white. Torn between getting the full foot (I've only dived in tropics so far) or the XX model with open heel then buying the Gull spring straps. Will be almost twice the price of the Seawings for the fin plus strap option.

Or just mail order Hollis F2s. Hmm.

Reading furiously on the Gull fins now. Anyone have any info on these?

So I went to Japan and picked up a pair of white Gull Super Mew XX. Size M fin (7-8US/39-41EU/25-26JP) works well for me (7US) with a 5mm hard-sole boot. Boot fits mostly in the foot pocket with no lateral movement.

I was going to grab some spring straps but then I ran across a sale on Seawing Novas on Amazon. Got myself a white pair for less than the price of spring straps! I'll bring both to my next dive trip. If the Seawing Novas break, I can try to put the bungee straps on the Gulls. :D

IMG_5316.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photo

IMG_5317.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom