First to Dive Steamship Portland Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the comments. We'll probably show more at an upcoming MWDC meeting during the winter. It'll take me a while to process the video (i.e. get proficient with the software:D). Just haven't had time to sit down and do it.

Quitting your job isn't a possibility? :wink:

This was truly an adventure for all of us, but it was a long time coming - meaning we didn't just go from 150FSW to 450FSW in a single jump, we took many progressively deeper wreck dives together on the same boat over 2 years. So our confidence was high in our methods and abilities. And we called 2 dives on the spot when conditions just didn't look right, meaning we didn't approach this like a bunch of yahoos.

It was definitely a real thrill to come down on the wreck and see the unique features Paul described which could only mean the Portland. Made all the hard work worth every bit. And it was me that initially labeled us "recreational" divers to the press. I didn't know what else to call us - we're not professionals, we do this for recreation...

btw, you are recreational divers. Rainer was right. I think my mind was in a knot the other night. :doh: I was thinking of the dive itself and.... nvm. :) I do like how Bina Venkatarman termed it/summed it up.

So will you be going again or has the "novelty" worn off for you as well, as mentioned in the article, by Venkataraman, Globe Correspondent?

I agree that you should go back. The hard parts over, you already did it a few times.:D

I saw the story in a few other newspapers and my sister saw it in a Florida paper.
Your story got press. I think this is good for the dive industry. It gets people excited and they want to learn more and maybe even take a dive class.

Mr. Chigger:eyebrow:

I agree that you should go back. The hard parts over, you already did it a few times.:D

Mr. Chigger:eyebrow:

I guess that's it then. Thanks for the help! Actually, the hesitation is simply over a couple other wrecks I'd like to check out but don't get time with this project. The Portland dives are all-consuming.

Will anyone from the Portland dive project be speaking at the Metrowest Dive Club Wrecks show this year?

Will anyone from the Portland dive project be speaking at the Metrowest Dive Club Wrecks show this year?

As Bob said no talk this year, but a think a few of us (I will) will be there speaking with old friends and making new ones.

Just look for the guys with the new shirts.

Paul

Attachments

• portlandcir.jpg
    portlandcir.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 122
CustomInk.com design: portland9 created by ussdpv

Check out the front and back as I had them made in this link.

We will be using the design later with "Sponsor" on it to raise a little $ for next years dives. So if your into Cool Shirts or want to help the project, keep an eye here to help as a Sponsor. And I'll have one on this weekend at the MWCD Wrecks.

Hope to see old friends and make new ones.

Paul

That shirt does rock. Will there be any presentations coming up by you guys?

Bob is working on doing a presentation at the spring shows. Details to follow.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom