Fish and Depth Finder on a Kayak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sontek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I just picked up a couple 13 1/2 foot fishing kayaks for doing some spearfishing out of and I was wondering if anyone had some information on using a fish and depth finder on a kayak?

Hi Sontek - my hubby uses a fish/depth finder on his kayak. He is absolutely obsessed with kayak fishing (although he has not spearfished) and I'm sure he could answer your questions. I told him about your post and he said to ask what specifically you're wanting to know.

I'm going to be doing scuba and rod fishing out of the kayak... But just wondering how you mount whatever detects the fish? Is it inside the water?

I mounted my transducer in the hull using "duct seal". You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes in the electrical dept.. Two things to keep in mind when you mount the ducer.
1. Make sure it is below the water line.
2. Make sure there are no air bubbles around the ducer when you stick it to the floor of the hull.
The duct seal stay pliable for a long time (maybe indefinitely) so if you're not sure if you have a good seal no worries.
Neo
Skubacat's husband
P.S.
Kayak Bass Fishing - The Premiere Kayak Bass Fishing Resource on the Web has a pretty good kayak rigging section if you would like some tips or ideas on ways to mount the head unit or other options for your transducer.
I post over there under the screen name Neo.

I would bet this would work, I know for sure it works in a fiberglass boat, in any case it will not hurt to try. If there is a live well or other compartment that is a single layer of plastic/glass you can just partly fill the compartment with water (just a little way up the transducer) and set the transducer in it- minnows swimming around aren't a problem. :) The key here is it must not have more than one layer of material between the transducer and the water.
You can also make a compartment by makng a dam of glue/silicone/fiberglass in the kayak and filling it with water. The water does not have to be deep, just enough to cover the bottom edge of the transducer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom