Fish Life in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hurricane Mitch 1998 Major damage and lots many deaths

Hurricane Wilma 2005

Wilma did not even hit the Island with Hurricane force, there was some damage to docks and places right on the north shore but mainly from waves, not hurricane winds.

We were at Reef House this May and last year 2009 we were at Fantasy Island the same week. In my opinion the diving at Reef House was far superior to the West end as there were many more fish and critters. Davit is by far the best Dive Master as he enjoys showing off even the smallest creature for you to view, he also keeps a very good eye on the divers as there were several beginners who were having difficulty. As someone posted he is a seahorse whisperer, this is true, and I saw at least one on every dive. I also have to say that Mike at the Reef House is awesome! The place is clean, rustic (which is to my liking) and excellent food, I just can't say enough I enjoyed it so much, but if you are looking for a 5 star resort with lots of staff waiting on you this is not the place for you. Thanks Mike and Davit for an awesome trip we will be back!!

We have stayed at West Bay and can tell you there is sea life, but clearly it appears to be overfished. You will rarely ever see a lobster or for that a barracuda?? For some odd reason the locals fish barracudas. So sadly they have not curtailed there fishing practices within the park, but you do run into smaller critters. Overall excellent diving.

I am making my comparison to the Florida Keys and other places that I have dove over the years. With this said I am still returning and should be there this weekend.

For some odd reason the locals fish barracudas. So sadly they have not curtailed there fishing practices within the park,

That odd reason most likely has something to do with survival, most honduran locals cannot just bip over to Gio's for dinner.

That odd reason most likely has something to do with survival, most honduran locals cannot just bip over to Gio's for dinner.
Ah Oh! Did someone forget to tell the locals to put their lives on hold for the tourists?
Sorry! Just my 2 cents!

To the OP, Might be too late but there are fish in Roatan. RoatanMan pretty much covered anything I would have said but I can tell you that when diving there I see plenty of eels, lobsters, Cuda, and basic reef fish. The area around AKR and Spooky channel seems a bit dead but better now than 5 years ago.

Well right now our little group as of today is up to 12 folks going. I've read so many good things about the Reef House Resort I'm really looking forward to staying there.

We stayed at Fantasy Island and the dives were great. We saw sea horses and all sorts of large fish and small fish and we saw a buch of nurse sharks sleeping in holes and caves. I have a couple of nice pictures of lobsters also.

I think Roatan is a great place to dive even though the only thing we did at West Inn was drink and eat.

You will rarely ever see a lobster or for that a barracuda??

I did fourteen dives in the West End (Sueno Del Mar) from
5/21 - 5/28 and I saw dozens of lobsters and cuda
several times as well. More than I saw in Cozumel in
January 2010 during sixteen dives. How many is alot?
Maybe I was just lucky but I saw plenty at Roatan. It was
a worthy trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom