Fisherman throws jig at divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a little reef which is in shallow water just a few hundred yds offshore. It's the only place I have to go as I yak dive. Anyway, I pulled up one day & there was a group of guys fishing & chumming the water. I politely asked them if I promised to stay on the far side of the reef, would they mind if I dived. They said sure, no problem. So I stayed on the far side of the reef & there was a pretty good size school of spanish mackeral running. Everytime they would come toward the edge of the reef, the mackeral would see me & turn & head back towards the fishermen's boat. Those guys had a great time & were sorry to see me leave.

This fisherman was just being an IDIOT ! He has been fishing the Pcola area for years and gets pissed when A dive boat pulls up and dives the most dived site in the Pcola area.There are A very few sites in the area that are shallow enough and easy to navigate as the Freighter for classes . This Idiot intentionaly jigged and caught A diver on the bottom and also threw at them on the surface. The only reason there werent more charges filed is they couldnt be proven. The charter had students diving. I know this doesnt make it right for divers to take over any public numbers ,but come on if you go to MickeyD's you get hamburgers. You might as well go to the Oriskany on sat morning and bitch about divers being there.

It is an "interesting" situation to say the least. I would be willing to bet that when it is all said and done with the FWC and State's attorney, more of the story will come out. Just a thought.

It was indeed a class. We need to clear this misconception that divers scare away all the fish!

Just wanted to put in my $0.02 worth.

IMHO, divers are a fisherman's best friend. Several times when I dove in the Gulf, I have had to "shoo" away fish cuz they get too friendly and would completely block my view of my dive buddy who is my 15 year old daughter.

If I were a fisherman, I would follow the divers to their spot, and as soon as the divers come up, toss my lines in and catch the fish that the divers have attracted.

Just my experience with fish...

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom