Five tons of sharks seized by Cozumel Marine police

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grateful head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So we were in Cozumel last week and diving with a local dive master. He told us that the Cozumel marine police seized five tons of dead sharks from somewhere near Puerto Morelos the week before. Not for sure but maybe they were caught in the coz marine park it sounded like. I cannot find any mention of this on the internet. I find the guy who told me this to be credible, our second trip with him. Has anyone heard of this?

The only way we limit the damage to the shark populations it through enforcement. Unfortunately, enforcement is grossly inadequate, given the huge area of the current protected areas. I have been to Malpelo twice in the last 3 years. The military outpost on the island does not even have a boat. The Biodiversity Conservation Colombia catamaran, Silky, is hardly a chase boat for illegal fishers. The liveaboard, Ferox, helps out when it can. Even after notification, it also takes the Colombian Navy more than a day to get out to Malpelo.

Priorities are what they are. If we are going to protect the eastern pacific of Galapagos, Malpelo, Cocos, Revillagigedos, funding for enforcement must increase. Unfortunately, I remain pessimistic. How many of us care? Very few.

Seaspiracy on Netflix is an enlightening documentary on illegal fishing and other types of slaughter of marine life around the world. We're killing the oceans and nobody cares.

So we were in Cozumel last week and diving with a local dive master. He told us that the Cozumel marine police seized five tons of dead sharks from somewhere near Puerto Morelos the week before. Not for sure but maybe they were caught in the coz marine park it sounded like. I cannot find any mention of this on the internet. I find the guy who told me this to be credible, our second trip with him. Has anyone heard of this?

First and most important - the news here is mostly a guess and hardly ever correct in all the details.

The only thing correct is they caught a boat with fish in a storage area and no permits. People from the captains office say the space where the fish was stored was small and no way could hold that weight......

It does, but not impossible.
The report said three tons, not five; looking at the picture in the article it seems a stretch to me that they could be carrying even that much.

It’s one of those fishing stories where the catch gets bigger every time the story is told again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom