FIX S95 housing - CAD pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was hoping to hear more regarding how eliminating the adapter would help overcome some of the barrel distortion associated with the other housing. Not having purchased any lenses yet, I'd still welcome using the newer housing. Is there any differences between the s90 and s95 in the lens department? Other than a few tweaks and HD video, thought they were the same.

My friend pointed out to me last night that is a Recsea housing, not Searec. Button spacing feels OK, at least out of water, but then I don't do cold water diving with gloves. I can't imagine the FIX housing will be any more or less bulky than the Recsea as I am sure the body of the housing will be essentially the same. Compared to the Canon housing this is a heavy little unit. At least it comes with the fiber optic plug. probably just use electrical tape to cover the rest of the flash window when using strobe. I don't think I like the placement of the front control ring wheel on the fix - it is a long reach for my right index finger all the way across the front of the camera to the port. Rather use my left hand on the Recsea. More later

not overly keen on this new housing [admit i dont know anywhere near as much as you guys] theres no fibre optic cable access on the diffuser, also not liking the poss of not being able to use a choice of lens!! it also looks bulkier than the SeaRec housing? i do like the extra space between the buttons on the back tho, searec are bit close together. be interested in hearing what you think of the searec one underwater dogdrjohn.

for the price i dont think its worth paying that, rather have the searec!

The connector for the optical strobes will screw into the flash window just like on the FIX90 housing, the diffuser is not used with an external strobe. A blanking cover is usually installed along with the screw in optical connector.

The housing is the same size as the FIX90 and SeaRec housings.

If the 52mm adapter is permanently part of the lens port, which it may well screw on and off just as does the FIX90, but if not, then it will restrict accessory lenses to those with a 52mm thread. Macro lenses are not as critical with distance from the port, they may be able to utilize a step up ring, a wide angle lens will not be able to without vignetting issues.

N

Was hoping to hear more regarding how eliminating the adapter would help overcome some of the barrel distortion associated with the other housing. Not having purchased any lenses yet, I'd still welcome using the newer housing. Is there any differences between the s90 and s95 in the lens department? Other than a few tweaks and HD video, thought they were the same.

The adapters for the FIX housings present or future have nothing to do with "barrel distortion" on these cameras. The barrel distortion in both the S90 and S95 is a consequence of the fast f2.0 lens and optical design issues that were easier (cheaper, lighter, smaller) to address via a software fix than an optical one. The jpeg software in the camera corrects the barrel distortion and the Canon DP software corrects it from the RAW files. Other programs like PS have similar capabilities.

There are essentially two types of lenses, rectilinear which yield straight lines as straight lines and fisheye lenses which yield straight lines as curved. In fact, by definition a fisheye lens such as the UWL-04 or Tokina 10-17 will have barrel distortion.

In a rectilinear lens, barrel distortion is corrected either by optical design or with digi cams, software. In any case, this has nothing to do with the adapters for the FIX housings or any other housing type.

Barrel distortion with fisheye type lens on S90, distance about 18 inches:

IMG_1353.jpg

Without fisheye type lens, distance about six to eight feet:

IMG_1345.jpg

Plenty of barrel distortion, shooting here the Inon UFL165AD:

IMG_1443.jpg

These photos from my lens tests posted in the "Great Summer Wet Lens Shootout" thread.

I do not believe, after actually comparing the two cameras, that there is any significant change to the lens or operation of the lens of the S95 vs the S90. Any changes would be software related.

If the 52mm threaded section is part of the port and cannot be removed this will result in:
1. shadowing using the internal flash that does NOT occur with the FIX90.

2. Inability to use wide angle lenses other than the UWL-04.

N

Last edited:
At least it comes with the fiber optic plug.

I assume the FIX95, like the FIX90, will come with the optical screw-in plug. The window can be covered with the optional plastic blanking plate which installs under the screw-in plug or some people use vinyl tape. I have the blanking plate.

The two slots, BTW, in the port as shown in the CAD drawing would be to release trapped air.

N

Last edited:
I just figured out how to mount an AD lens on the FIX or Recsea housing. I have the FIX "cheapie" 52mm threaded adaptor ring ($35 from Reef Photo) and instead of mounting a 52mm to 67mm step-up ring, then a 10bar or DIY 67mm to AD mount, I have taken the AD mount off an AD extension used to mount the INON macro lens on a 28AD mount (one could also just take apart the 10bar adaptor) and will use the original screws to screw it directly to the step-up ring. Voila, 52mm to AD adaptor. If that makes it too close and the lens bottoms out on the port glass, I will reinstall the AD mount on the 10bar 67mm ring to get a little more space, but I want the lens as close to the port glass as possible. Off to get parts right now, should have it done by later today and will report on fit.

I just figured out how to mount an AD lens on the FIX or Recsea housing. I have the FIX "cheapie" 52mm threaded adaptor ring ($35 from Reef Photo) and instead of mounting a 52mm to 67mm step-up ring, then a 10bar or DIY 67mm to AD mount, I have taken the AD mount off an AD extension used to mount the INON macro lens on a 28AD mount (one could also just take apart the 10bar adaptor) and will use the original screws to screw it directly to the step-up ring. Voila, 52mm to AD adaptor. If that makes it too close and the lens bottoms out on the port glass, I will reinstall the AD mount on the 10bar 67mm ring to get a little more space, but I want the lens as close to the port glass as possible. Off to get parts right now, should have it done by later today and will report on fit.

That may work but don't drill it in until you get the parts so you can align the lens to TDC.

N

Good suggestion! So far all is good - with just a 52mm-to-67mm step up ring and the plastic AD mount it is TOO close - the lens hits the port glass before everything is fully tightened, so I think it will actually work better with the 10bar 67mm-to-AD mount. I will have to come up with a way to assure TDC with all the threaded parts tight. I'm thinking maybe little stainless steel set screws on the two outer rings where they attach to the next smaller ring, and then just fully tighten the 52mm adaptor on the port threads. All three parts will then be essentially dedicated to AD lenses, but since that is what I have that is OK, and if I buy a UWL-04 in the future, I just need to buy another FIT 52mm adaptor ring.

New information posted on the FISHEYE website:
- Weight (Air) : 650g
- Dimensions W140 × D100 × H96 mm
- Depth Rating 70m

Hopefully more info will come soon.

Pardon my ignorance folks, I've always thought that RecSea housings and FIX housings were made by the same company i.e. they're one and the same except branded differently.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? I've been waiting for the Fix s95 housing to appear here in Singapore (supposed to be here end Nov or early Dec). However, if the front control ring for the Fix s95 housing is situated on the right then the RecSea housing would seem a better choice (with the ring on the left).

Based on what I've read in these forums (esp nemrod's excellent research), I was going to go with the Fix s95 + cheap 52mm adaptor + UWL 04. But that was based on the Fix s95 housing being exactly like the Recsea s95 housing.

RecSea housing image can be found at uwdigitalcamera.com (sorry can't post URLs yet!!)

Any comments please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom