Flag Lost: LBTS Shore Dive--Sunday Dec 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B1200

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there,

Dive flag attached to rubber weight belt and 2-pound weight slipped off of rescue can/float during surf entry at Lauderdale by the Sea, at Datura Street entry on Sunday, Dec 1.

If anybody happens upon my gear, it'd be much appreciated if you'd please give me a shout!

is it sitting on the bottom or is it with the current?

Separated from float approx 50 feet from shore; maybe 5-6 feet of water. Two-pound weight strapped to the flag, so hard to say. Might just be sitting there at the bottom waving at the fishies...

good luck...i dive LBTS frequently so will keep and eye out...you never know.

Yeah, $30 replacement for flag, strap, and another 2-pound weight back in biz.... At least it wasn't my GoPro that I dropped (and found) there last year, tsk tsk...

Losing a flag is not a glitch; it is a combination of nature (waves) and possible operator error (I DID cinch that flag strap down extra tight, didn't I ???). Meh, stuff gets dropped/lost by boat divers, too.

They're both excellent, but different approaches to diving; shore offers almost always more exercise lugging gear and with surface swims. More self-sufficient, especially if diving solo. And no charter/fuel costs. You're usually going to pay for parking at most charter spots, anyways. And you realize the true value of a compass and are more attuned to currents; otherwise you have a long walk down the beach lugging your gear which is not a fun way to end a great dive:=}.

Control: Unless you own your own boat, you might go in the general vicinity desired on a charter but unlikely the captain will drop you on the exact GPS coordinates of your favorite nearshore lobster patch.

But I'm not going to surface swim over a mile each way to reach the bugs at Anglin's Ledge for a 40 minute dve, I'm not going solo drift diving off the beach without a solid plan and reliable pick-up (good luck there), and boat diving has its comforts and relative benefits.

I love and recommend both shore and boat diving!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom