Flatulation, can it occur with scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba:
I think they're final conclusion was that while they thought lactose intolerance does indeed exist, most of those who complain about "lactose intolerance" just ate more than they should have and blamed lactose. My wife has a cousin who goes on about how lactose intolerant she is, then eats stuff loaded with it, but she avoids milk.

Give me a glass of milk, and I will empty out any room smaller than 20 ft x 20 ft. And it is not the "placebo effect".... He, he, he....

Meng_Tze:
So how do you explain the explosive pressure of some of these under water? I once saw a guy release gas in his wet suit.... I could swear he was speeding up......definitely higher pressure that ambient
While the gas is contained inside an at-rest tube o' smooth muscle, it's at ambient, but when that smooth muscle contracts, the pressure on the gas is increased.

friscuba:
A large portion of those who thought they were getting lactose and actually didn't complained of problems while few of those who thought they weren't getting lactose actually complained of problems (something like 5-10%). I think they're final conclusion was that while they thought lactose intolerance does indeed exist, most of those who complain about "lactose intolerance" just ate more than they should have and blamed lactose.
All I know is that if I just eat a bowl of ice cream, I can justify a sick day, but if I want to dive, I'd better have some pretty white caplets with it. (I actually more-or-less replicated the study, in that I believed orange sherbet was fine but discovered it was almost as bad on me. Only after trying the tabs of wonder did I notice the ingredients on the orange sherbet label. Sure enough, the magic beans work there, too.)

fisherdvm:
Why would it be an issue in a drysuit?? Is it because the gas in your colon is more pressurized than the gas in the drysuit, causing an increase in buoyancy??[/quote

UH OH, you've now caused the DIR's to go back to the drawing board & figure out another step to perfection.......

ClayJar:
While the gas is contained inside an at-rest tube o' smooth muscle, it's at ambient, but when that smooth muscle contracts, the pressure on the gas is increased.
Muscles what, smooth? Where do you come up with this? In order for the gas to come out. It needs to be at higher pressure. I don't care for the mechanics of how all this works..... just that I feel pressure and an urge to off gas. Once that is done, I get the hell out of dodge.

(ps. I was trolling a bit, enough now. I can see how I am going to get all scientific answers to something trivial)

Soggy:
No, it's because it will smell when you take the suit off.

Yes, you can fart underwater. No, you will not get an colonic embolism. :)

BUT . . . with Methane's specific gravity of .554 compared to Argon's SG of 1.7837, enough of last night's lasagna may offset the benefit of using Argon!:wink:

Not to mention the eventual inability to find someone to unzip ones rear entry suit.:11:

wreckedinri:
BUT . . . with Methane's specific gravity of .554 compared to Argon's SG of 1.7837, enough of last night's lasagna may offset the benefit of using Argon!:wink:

Not to mention the eventual inability to find someone to unzip ones rear entry suit.:11:
And watch out for Isobaric counter diffusion there

wreckedinri:

You're doing it all wrong! Never say anything until it's too late. Unless of course, you've pulled the same trick before. :)

previous thread ..
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=164326

suit2.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom