Flip Ultra HD/Ikelite Housing-Test Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O Photo Pros

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I went out on Friday to shoot sample video with three different set ups. One of which was the Flip Ultra HD with an Ikelite housing. Here is a raw cut of a few clips put together. Everything was shot ambient light and NO red filter at Catalina Island.

Its a great package for someone looking ot just take snap videos for the web. Camera is $165-185 online and housing is only $235.

Watch the Vimeo video here

Thanks Mike. I just got the Flip Ultra HD last month and will get the housing in the spring. Video sample looks good.

Very nice vid. I really have to get down to Catalina sometime.

I notice you have a tremendously steady hand, which really helps the Flip. Without the wide-angle lens, all of my handheld Flip videos have nausea-inducing jitters.

Very steady hands indeed.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Nice. But I'm still waiting on the JVC and Contour 1080p results to come in. Ikelite is coming out with a w/a lens adapter for the JVC for AD bayonet lenses. And as far as the low light issues go, I think they're overblown. I've seen night scenes from the JVC and they don't look any worse than the others.

I use the Flip Ultra HD also. I like it quite a bit but am not fond of its night recording quality (possible a side-effect of the Pro-V8 light itself). I picked up a Flip Ultra (SD) which seems to be much more sensitive to light than the HD but is not hi-def.

I tried last week the JVC FM-1 and Ikelite housing and noticed it significantly lacks in low-light quality. Where the Flip would have okay light, it would be pitch black on the JVC. So I wasn't sure how it would be in the water where it mattered.

But the JVC records 720 in 60hz, not 30 (like the Flip). So I took it down and I was surprised by the results. It recorded very clear video and had a minimal light saturation where the Flip shot would have to be discarded too bright. I like to do chase scense, and on the Flip is a little more blurry than the JVC.

I'm fabricating right now a custom tray/mount that has two hand grips and lights, using brighter lights than the Pro-V8, will work with both Flip and JVC, so I should be able to see how they work with better lighting.

You can see my vids at youtube.com/user/leabre

In any case, nice video shots. I'm glad to see more people using the Flip and mini point-and-shoots for scuba.

Both the flip and the JVC units are very small indeed and difficult to keep steady. using a tray and handle from ULCS helps a ton!

Here is my footage of Roatan with the Flip Ultra HD and Ikelite housing. This was shot in March 2010. If you subscribe, you'll see more videos as I upload them. Cozumel next weekend! Enjoy!

YouTube - spalkowetz's Channel

Back
Top Bottom