Floating Feet - need ankle weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good post Matt, thanks...

I dive wet, with a Scotia 6.5mm Semi-dry. Diving in Ireland ( 9 degree C / 48 degree F water last weekend ) means I've a lot of suit on me, so a lot of buoyancy.

Personally I think if ankle weights help me, then I'd use them. However, if I'm using ankle weights instead of improving my technique somehow, maybe I'd rather improve my technique, you know?

J.

you do not need the ankle weights. Shift your tank down. try that. The optimal solution varies for many and for some. if your BC is a little small then the position on your back is high and you get a heads down position. which is certain cases is good. But since your FLOATING feet up...there are a few options to correct this.

One SORRY ..but is to try Scubapro Jet fins or a more negative fin...they have solved many of my friends FEET up problem. But here in the cold north we dive dry alot and we FROG kick wth legs bent and feet up. It works very well for overhead environments and in silty fragil environment where you WANT your feet up and frog kicking as opposed to the flutter kick.

Another solution that can work is change your BC. BC'S( jacket styles ) will shift slightly and change your position in the water. Especially if it is not adjusted right. Either giving you a head down or a head up/feet down. Optimal position is flat. As horizontal as possible. Another solution is trimweights. Placing a few pounds higher on your back may solve this problem your having. You can remove some of the weight around your waiste and up higher. Also using a steel tank. Position higher or lower to help trim you out.

Try a few things before going to ankle weights. Hook up with an instructor or someone with more experience than you to help you out. BUT the best soluiton is working on your techniques, trim, bouyancy and fin kicks. You really do not need ankle weights. I used ankle weights for a few years diving dry...forgot them one day and I am NOT using ankles weights any more...never needed them in the first place. I just adjusted my trim...worked on my finning, and adjusted my weight. I also switched to a backplate and wing. Since then, my trim is near perfect...I am still working on it.

Stephen

I understander your frustration. The same thing happened to me when I moved up to a 7mm wetsuit. I notice the problem in the top 30ft (9M for you) of the water. Neoprene compression makes perfect bouyancy a shifting target at first.

My initial reaction was to get some stick-on weights for my fins. But I'm lazy and never did. Now I don't notice the problem anymore. Why? Not sure. May just be that my muscles learned to compensate so my legs stay straight. That is unless I'm doing a frog or modified flutter. Part of it may be better body position in the water too (back arched and all)

Comrade Stroke

Thanks for the advice...

I'm already using a Steel Tank ( it's all we really use here in Ireland ). It's already pretty low down on my BC, so I can't really lower it much more. Not really too certain why placing weights higher on my back will help my feet drop, wouldn't that just cause my head to drop more?

I reckon, as it was only the first dive of the season, that I'll try a few more dives without ankle weights and see how it goes. I'll mess around with my trim as much as I can and check that too. Most of the comments I've found on this site seem to suggest that after a while using Ankle Weights, people haven't used them anymore, they've just got better at their trim etc.

J.

Jasonb:
And there's my problem...

Walter said 'No one ever needs ankle weights'

Dave4868 said 'I'd say you need ankle weights. They will solve the problem nicely.'

Which is correct? Walter, why does no-one need ankle weights? Dave4868, what weight would you recommend? I currently dive with 24lbs ( 11kg ), so should I go with .5k ( 1lb ) on each ankle or 1kg ( 2lbs ) on each?

J.

Excellent observation, Grasshopper.

Another mystery of life: both are right, despite the seeming impossibility. :wink:

I've always used ankle weights with my drysuit, since I have lots of insulation in the legs and boots (two layers). That tends to make my feet a little light.

Since I'm lazy, I was smugly satisfied in just clipping on some ankle weights of 1.5 lbs each.

Although I'm using a steel 120 and al30 pony as low on the bcd as possible, and most of my other weight is on my weightbelt, my substantially buoyant undergarments on the feet and legs still make my feet slightly buoyant.

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't try harder to find a better solution. :wink:

If you succumb, like I did, there are heavier (and longer) ankle weights available.

Yours in sin. :)

Dave C

I second the notion of sliding your tank down a bit.

My feet used to drag, so a friend told me to try sliding my tank a bit higher. Now my feet don't drag anymore.

I only had to slide the tank up a few inches to feel the difference.

Of course, this is one of the big subjects that has been discussed and discussed and discussed.... Which is why you might get short, one sentence answers from members who have posted long detailed opinions on this over the years.

One thing always remains the same: Rarely is a person's mind changed on the subject, and the nOOb who asks the question just ends up confused.

However, several years ago, reading posts on ankle weights, my mind was changed on this subject and I dumped the weights and have never gone back.

In Walter's post, I think the definitive word is "need". No one ever "needs" ankle weights. Absolutely true. Doesn't mean no one ever "wants" them, or "likes" them. They are a great band-aid, and saves the diver the trouble of properly correcting other issues which most likely need addressing.

But as far as absolutely "needing" those things?

Naw.

My favorite problem that is "solved" by using ankle weights is, "My feet keep filling up with air and coming out of the drysuit boots!"

I was just adressing trim. And should have said,,,Place trim weights on your cam bands if needed. and if you do need to Trim better, then placing a pound or two a little higher. or even a little lower.

Then your BC maybe too small for you. You may need a better fitting BC. But it may be just a change of fins.

The optimal solution is technique. If you realize your feet are TOO high you may just have to force them alittle. Adjust how you kick.

Something that helped me was being videotaped swimming. Once I viewed the tape I seen where I was low/high and how I positioned myself in the water. My trim has since improved, but I am still adjusting here and there.

Jasonb:
Thanks for the advice...

I'm already using a Steel Tank ( it's all we really use here in Ireland ). It's already pretty low down on my BC, so I can't really lower it much more. Not really too certain why placing weights higher on my back will help my feet drop, wouldn't that just cause my head to drop more?

I reckon, as it was only the first dive of the season, that I'll try a few more dives without ankle weights and see how it goes. I'll mess around with my trim as much as I can and check that too. Most of the comments I've found on this site seem to suggest that after a while using Ankle Weights, people haven't used them anymore, they've just got better at their trim etc.

J.

Wait, wait, wait...if you realize your feet are too high, FORCE them a little? Or you could just slap on a pair of 1's or 1.5's and not have to fight an entire dive...I dunno...one sounds like the far simpler and freeing solution.

While one may never NEED ankle weights, depending on exposure suit/fin choice, they may be the far simpler/cheaper solution to "floaty feet". For instance, I have extremely positive feet and dead neutral fins when I dive my drysuit (it has been modified with non-stock attached boots, and I wear heavy foot undergarments (socks..:wink: )), so..my options are to find a NEW drysuit AND/OR NEW Fins...or wear 1.5 lb ankle weights. I think I'll take the latter solution, thanks!

And for all the lip service we pay to "trim", isn't trim all about getting horizontal in the water column and spreading weight around where each individual needs it? Some of us, again, due to equipment configuration/exposure suit require some lead on the ankles to keep horizontal in the water...no amount of tank shifting is going to change the fact that it's just my FEET that are positive...but adding a small amount of lead WILL.

Cheers,
Austin

Jasonb:
Thanks for the advice...

J.

I wish I were in Ireland diving! What a terrific place to be! Aside from that I would say it's always fun to experiment. You could make yourself some inexpensive ankle weights using old bicycle tire tubes and securing the ends with some fastex clips from a discarded backpack. I'm sure you could get lead shot somewhere?

I know people get devoted to their fins, however the Plana's tend to be floaty. That being said, I use different fins for different pieces of kit. With the KISS rebreather and drysuit I use Jet fins. With the Megalodon rebreather I use Mares Quattro. I have fins to match every job.

In the end, ankle weights do tend to de-evolve themselves into uselessness and will probably get relegated to some corner of your dive shed as you sort things out.

Cheers,

X

Back
Top Bottom