Flooded Housing - Nikon D800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all those who responded :)

Although somewhat ironically I was in the process of figuring out the best way to insure it, at the time my loss was uninsured. I will certainly have the cover before I do any further trips with my replacement equipment.

I've also now got the Nauticam vacuum system on the housing for extra protection.

sorry to hear this mate- I've done 2x d7000 myself -one was a port lock was stuck and it came undone on a surface swim on a buoy line. The other was a stupid microphone cable in the edge of the housing o-ring seal- stupid design for recreational users!

I seriously would go down a peg if it ever happens again- but I have learned the hard way.

Buying second hand camera gear for diving is a better way to go!

I got my replacement lens on ebay both half price and they work fine....

Something you might think about. Nauticam now offers a vacuum system that can be fitted on the housing. It has a light for green when sealed, yellow when iffy and red when bad. So it lets you know when you have a good seal and warns you when you start losing it.

Thanks PatW

I sent the housing back to Scubapix to check there wasn't an issue with and they installed the vacuum system you refer to whilst running the checks. Works a treat and I'm looking forward to my next dive trip (Minke whales) to see it in action in a liveaboard situation.

I got a good deal on a replacement camera and lens and with the vacuum system and some insurance in place I'm feeling a lot less worried about a repeat.

An expensive lens though and I would encourage anyone, no matter how many dives you've done without encountering a leak, don't let your guard down and stay diligent.

Too much complacency after many dives without an issue.
Sorry. We've all been there. I've flooded a few components, but not a housing - yet.

Once my wife distracted me while I was working on my strobe, and I forgot to install an o-ring before I went diving. Yup, it flooded immediately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom