Flor de Caña Rum... sandwich?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My apologies to you all, but I read about this in the nationally syndicated column, News of the Weird.

Flor de Cana Rum Celebrates National Sandwich Day with Crustless Cocktails
November 3, 2010

NEW YORK CITY (NOVEMBER 1, 2010) – The culinary cocktail trend has given the expression “liquid lunch” a whole new meaning. In celebration of National Sandwich Day on November 3, Flor de Caña rum, the pride of Nicaragua and the rum of choice among America’s top mixologists, is embracing this movement by creating some of the most unique concoctions imaginable – Sandwich Cocktails.

The days when your mother made your favorite PB&J sandwich just the way you liked it—no crust, jelly, and two banana slices—are long gone. Flor de Caña rum has enlisted some of the finest mixologists behind the bar to liquefy three iconic lunchtime favorites into sandwich libations including Peanut Butter & Jelly, a Cheeseburger and the BLT. Yes, it is possible—and it’s the best thing since sliced bread!

“Food-inspired cocktails are a natural fit for Flor de Caña rum as it highlights the brand’s versatility,” says Paul Caffrey, Brand Manager. “The flavor profile of Flor de Caña 7 year old rum complements sweet and savory ingredients; our crustless cocktails reinforce the mixability of Flor de Caña rum, while also having a bit of fun at the same time!”

Trevor Burnett of the Toronto-based cocktail consultancy Tipicular Fixin’s says, “The cheeseburger cocktail I created is well balanced and allows the character of Flor de Caña 7 year old rum to add a complexity to the beef stock reduction that a neutral spirit could never achieve. Notes of dark caramel, burnt toffee, and toasted nuts also create a well-rounded tasting experience, offering the satisfaction of what one might call comfort food in a glass.”

PB&J
Created by Gianfranco, Tippling Bros.

1.5 oz Flor de Caña 7 yr rum
.5 oz Lustau Palo Cortado Vides
.25 oz Strawberry jam
.25 oz Peanut syrup*
1 Egg white
1 Yellow banana

Shake all ingredients in a boston shaker without ice, then add ice and shake vigorously again. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass that is rimmed with minced salted-peanuts. Garnish with a banana slice.

*Peanut syrup
Combine 2 parts water with 2 parts sugar in a pot. Bring sugar water to a boil. Add 1 part minced peanuts. Simmer for 10 minutes and strain to remove peanut particles.

BLT
Created by Niccole Trzaska.

1.5 oz of Bacon-infused Flor de Caña 7 yr rum
2 oz Sacramento tomato juice
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Pinch celery salt
Pinch black pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice
Dollop of horseradish
Fresh Cilantro to taste

Pour all ingredients over ice shake and then strain over ice.

Cheeseburger
Created by Trevor Burnett and Whitney Munro, Tipicular Fixin’s.

1 oz Flor de Caña 7 yr rum
2 muddled Roma tomatoes
1 oz Iceberg lettuce water
1 oz Beef (well reduced)
2 tbsp Toasted bread crumbs
1 tsp Dry mustard powder
2 tbsp Aged cheddar
1 large Kosher dill pickle
Salt and pepper to taste

Muddle tomatoes, add ice, and slowly poor lettuce water. Stir rum and beef jus together in stainless shaker. Float rum mixture over ice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Garnish: Cheddar frico and pickle knot.

Garnish instructions:
Heat pan to medium heat, sprinkle in cheddar and use sides of spoon to gather cheese into a circle. Brown and remove from pan to cool on plate.
Mix bread crumbs with dry mustard. Wet rim of glass with pickle juice, dip glass in crumb mixture.

Celebrating over 115 years of rum production, family-owned Flor de Cana is the most-awarded rum in the world. Flor de Cana premium and super premium rums are the only rums in the world that are 100% aged or "slow-aged," guaranteeing each age stated on the bottle is the actual age of the rum. Flor de Cana slow-aged rums are never blended with younger vintages to ensure the highest-quality and consistency. Flor de Cana rums are distilled and handcrafted from estate-grown sugar cane at Flor de Cana's fully self-sustaining facility in Nicaragua. The only rum produced in Nicaragua and the most popular in all of Central America, Flor de Cana offers a diverse selection of aged products, including 4 year old White, Gold and Limon; 5 year old; 7 year old; 12 year old; and 18 year old. They may be enjoyed neat, on the rocks or in a variety of mixed cocktails.

I think I'll stick with Salva Vida!:wink:

Lettuce water? WTF is that ? Even the Google fails me on that one.

If this is what all the cool kids in the big cities are drinking then I'm proud to be a beer swilling heathen. Right out of the bottle baaaaaybeeee.

Well, except for the Guinness of course.:D

As a bartender myself, that is just silliness.

I make PBJ shots near nightly. No need for jam, egg whites, peanut syrup, or anything of the like. Equal parts Frangelico and Chambord and viola, just like when you were 10 years old. Yum. The BLT drink is nothing more than a fancy (and likely tasty) Bloody Mary. Now as for the burger... why? I'll drink a beer and eat the burger, thank you.

Roatanman: Thank you for uncovering a clear plot by Chavez to influence Ortega to institute a program aimed at leading the youth of the United States down a path of decadence...YOU ARE THE MAN:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom