Florida Atty Gen.: Miami guy sells fake course, PADI cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The fish will get you"? Come on KWS, they didn't really say that, did they? How many dives had this couple had before diving with you?

Some might argue that about instructors from any of the recreational training agencies. The standards set by the agencies are all pretty similar, and if the courses are conducted to standards, some very good divers can come out of them regardless of the initials attached to it.
If short cuts are taken, then you wind up with sub par divers who are afraid to practice what they have "learned" but this is not the fault of the agency providing the card, but the fault of the instructor not putting in the time and energy that it takes to actually teach someone to dive. I will step off my soap box now.

All True, but nowhere near as funny as what Rich Keller said!!!

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 11:21 AM ----------

I finally read through the full complaint "http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/KCAN-9TDPRF/$file/OceanHunters.pdf"

Yes, it looks like he created PADI cards (see page 10). Page 12 shows a PADI letter warning people that he "is not a PADI instructor, and not authorized or trained to conduct PADI Diver Courses...".

According to ... somewhere in that document, I can't seem to find it again, the instructor number he had printed to the back of the cards might actually be the number of a woman in Canada.

I actually really enjoy this guy. Near as I can figure, what he really is accused of selling is Bogus PADI Card and using PADI material without permission. I did not see where it stated he was incapable of teaching or that his teaching standards were less than anyone elses. He did this after people questioned his own certifying agency, which he represented as being recognized world wide. A little better preparation, some material development, and he could have been the next NASE!! (or any other certifying agency!!)

Still reading, though!!

He did this after people questioned his own certifying agency, which he represented as being recognized world wide. A little better preparation, some material development, and he could have been the next NASE!! (or any other certifying agency!!)

I had no idea it was that easy to start your own certifying agency! I should look into starting my own agency. Is the name "Basic Scuba" taken? Or maybe "Better Scuba"? I could call it "BS" for short.

Clinton Tyree would have a field day with that turd sandwich. Either him or Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms. He might be in double trouble if they both showed up at the same time! I love literary references.

I had no idea it was that easy to start your own certifying agency! I should look into starting my own agency. Is the name "Basic Scuba" taken? Or maybe "Better Scuba"? I could call it "BS" for short.

Yep, contrary to what some might lead you to believe, there is not central authority providing oversight and certifying organizations are still being created, such as NASE in 82 and SDI starting in 92.

Are you a North Shore boy, or South Shore?? I grew up near Centerport in the 70's and 80's, right next door to the Vanderbilts!

Are you a North Shore boy, or South Shore?? I grew up near Centerport in the 70's and 80's, right next door to the Vanderbilts!

I grew up in Greenlawn and went to Harborfields class of '74. We probably know a lot of the same people.

These fake cards surfaced here in the Keys about a year and half ago, did not quite look like PADI cards and the data on them did not check out with PADI. The local shop, Sailfish Scuba, reported it to PADI for investigation. Its just taken that long for PADI's investigation then the FL AGs investigation to lead to indictments.

1398592_10152006696473554_1550943125_o.jpg

I grew up in Greenlawn and went to Harborfields class of '74. We probably know a lot of the same people.

Got me by a couple of years- I graduated in 79. Worked at the Northport Marine Center for a few years and Went to School at Grumman, prior to becoming part of Briarcliffe. Taught Scuba with Ed Teidemann at Farmingdale and a couple other schools before he opened up his shop, then moved to Maryland in 85. Favorite Dive , for years, was the Gwendolyn Steers, right there by Eatons Neck!!

· Issued counterfeit and/or fraudulent PADI certification cards when in reality, the defendants are not authorized to teach PADI courses, perform diver training or issue PADI certifications; and
· Issued fraudulent and/or worthless open water scuba diving certification cards or simply failed to provide consumers with any open water certification cards after completing defendants’ certification course.

I don't get it.

I can see fraud if he sold cards with no training. I can see fraud if he sold training without cards.

However I can't wrap my head around why anybody would teach classes and issue cards, but not to the same people.

It sounds like some sort of bone-headed sting operation or someone got something really screwed up in the complaint.

flots.

Actually they did. I knew the place where they certified and the truth is, I believe, they were told , by the shop, not to take cheese wiz to feed the fish cause they hang at the platforms and will nip at you for food handouts. They still had thier temporary "DIVERS LICENSE." After an imidiate SI and sit down chat, they took my word that it was no longer necessary to have an instructor or DM to leave the platform. We then moved on to buoyancy and getting closer to horizontal than 45 degreees and dog paddling at depth. Yes we did it on the platform.

Its unbelieveable some of the things you hear. they had less than 10 dives in thier book, which was one of those premade 6"x6" log books, with the dive flag cover, , they also asked me what I do when the my book gets full and wont hold any more dives????? Like do I carry a spare so I can keep diving?????. I showed them my home made XL sheet log book, and it amazed them. They did not know they could dive with out a official dive book.

I did not seek this couple out . It was crouded at the lake and I shared a picnic site with them. I dont know who learned more that day me or them.

"The fish will get you"? Come on KWS, they didn't really say that, did they? How many dives had this couple had before diving with you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom