Florida Cavern locations for new certified Cavern divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love Peacock but too many cave nazi's there... cave divers that I guess don't like cavern divers or something... ALWAYS seem to have drama when I'm cavern diving at Peacock, so I tend to just not go... from people trying to drag me out of the cavern zone... to people having me checked for certifications by the rangers... Not the experience I would want new cavern divers to have. It's ok to ask someone if they are certified... but really having the rangers do it??

Tim

We've seen many incidents there and don't want the park closed for diving.

Just put your cavern cards in the dash of your vehicle, and if people ask, respectfully tell them your cert cards are on the dash. The rangers will check your dash for cards too. So long as everything is ok, they will leave you alone.

Enjoy these springs! Don't let the grumpy people chase you out. Remember, your taxes pay for these parks, so you have as much right to be there as they do, so long as you have the proper training and cert card to go with it.

Just remember at ANY state park, you must put your cards in the windshield. It makes it a LOT easier for all involved :wink:

Little River was/is favorite after cavern class.... Bufford is AWESOME but would wait till it dries up a bit, the hike in right now might be more of a swim... Love Peacock but too many cave nazi's there... cave divers that I guess don't like cavern divers or something... ALWAYS seem to have drama when I'm cavern diving at Peacock, so I tend to just not go... from people trying to drag me out of the cavern zone... to people having me checked for certifications by the rangers... Not the experience I would want new cavern divers to have. It's ok to ask someone if they are certified... but really having the rangers do it??

Tim

That is an interesting thing. Why do you think that those "cave nazis" pick you out in the cavern for that type of response? I ask because every time I have EVER dove at Peacock with cavern divers or been sitting against the ceiling watching the cavern divers the cave divers there have always been good.

It is not "normal" for a cave diver to "drag" a cavern diver out and aks for the ranger to check credentials unless there is a safety concern, at least in my experience.

Tegg,
Most likely I would think it had to do with my gear configuration (single tank IS allowed for cavern) though knowing in both instances WHO it was and talking to other divers about it afterwards; BOTH times involved divers that are known to be aggressive in what they say and do.... I have a full side mount setup and dive it often, but sometimes choose a single tank rig just because I can in a cavern environment. Also, just to clarify the "cave nazis" comment, it came from the Ocoee river where there are "river nazis" that wear green shirts and will write tickets for things such as non-color coordinated paddling attire or taking more than 5 minutes to load your vehicle at the river takeout. The days that I show up looking like a cave diver I don't have any issues... But as soon as I put a single tank on my back people start acting stupid like the guys in green on the Ocoee river.

With that being said.... a LOT of cavern divers are just getting into the sport and may not necessarily have a full cave kit, and have the same issues that I have had at Peacock...

Tim

---------- Post added September 29th, 2014 at 10:20 AM ----------

Joe,
I understand the concern for keeping people alive... but since you made the statement, I have to ask.... How many deaths have been cavern divers (ok, lets just expand that a bit) or anyone diving a single tank configuration? Then tell me how many actual cave divers have died there?

I always put my card on my dash or in the window seal, in that particular instance I actually had to go get it and show it to the ranger... I'm ALL for self regulation, and I as a CAVERN diver have talked to people at other sites (little river) and told them about how dangerous it was to dive a cavern like Little without the proper training.... but NEVER did I touch them intentionally underwater trying to get them to leave the cavern... I didn't tell them to leave and I didn't ask for their card (could tell in conversation that they were not certified and eventually just asked).... warned them to not get out of cavern zone because the cave truly was dangerous without the training and finally told them to be safe and have a safe drive back home after their dive....

Sorry if I seem a little emotional about this subject, just tired of people ruining my day when I'm out diving... and if they do it to me, they'll do it to others.

Tim

Speaking of peacock, Is it still bad visibility wise? I was up there couple weeks ago and vis was 15ft max (which is horrible for peacock).

Jill just posted today that Orange was awesome.... and it seems like I have seen posts about Peacock being good on Saturday... but definitely 2nd hand info...

Hi guys, I have a hopefully related question here. I'm in West Palm. I have my advanced open water, nitrox, night dive, nav
I'd like to get certified to dive overhead cave environments.
Are these types of training only given in actual caves ? Therefore, are there are any remotely local to me ?

I think it's funny people have heckled cavern divers at peacock/orange grove. The two times I've had near complete blow out of vis it was by full (or perhaps intro) level cave divers.

Are these types of training only given in actual caves ? Therefore, are there are any remotely local to me ?

Training is in the overhead and in environments that you will use after training. You may find instructors in West Palm,but training will occur in North Florida. FWIW,this is overhead,if something goes wrong you can't ascend to the surface,but have to use your skills to solve the problem,and find a safe exit. Find the best instructors,someone teaching it a lot,and go to their location. Being half-fast about it can cost you your life.

Hi guys, I have a hopefully related question here. I'm in West Palm. I have my advanced open water, nitrox, night dive, nav
I'd like to get certified to dive overhead cave environments.

Kelly's right on the money. The good thing is that you're only a four hour drive from cave country, so it's not that ridiculous of a drive for you. People come from all around the world to learn how to do this stuff and you're lucky enough to live in-state.

The bottom line on cave diving is it's not for everyone, and it's extremely dangerous for the untrained (even openwater instructors that lack cave training have died!).

The only other thing I would add is do not try to go to the "zero to hero" route. What I mean by that is do not try and go from openwater diver to full cave at one time. Instead, spend some time developing the skills and techniques and gaining comfort and awareness in the environment.

The Cavern/Intro combination are pretty good for learning the basics and being a stepping stone towards gaining experience before progressing to full cave. The NAUI Cave 1 route is OK for people that have a lot of diving experience that meet the pre-reqs (intro to tech, doubles experience), but is probably too much for the average recreational diver.

Thanks for the tips. I tend not to half-ass anything in my life, ever. So if you guys reccomend I take other courses first (or simply wait until I have more dive experience) than that's what I'll do.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2014 at 07:45 PM ----------

I saw something online "ten most dangerous dive spots" several of them were caverns in Florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom