Florida vs Washington! Where would you move as a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have lived in Washington and Florida and currently live in Alaska which always will be home. Hands down i would go Florida simply on the housing prices, for the difference in cost of housing you could finance a darn nice dive trip to Washington every year so that you could have the best of both worlds. The diving is great for different reasons on both coasts but Lord Help you if you have to make the N to South or vice versa commute through Seattle. You could drive across the State of Florida in the length of time it could take you to go from Everette to Tacoma

and finally the thought of 79 degree winter water verses 42 degree winter water is just so appealing

Lucky you You have a great decision to make
Herb

Dove the Great Lakes for 38 years. Moved to Florida ten years ago right smack in the middle of cave country. No charter fees. Don't get seasick on my way to the caves. Have never gotten "blowen off a cave in rainy weather. And I can take an 8 hour drive and dive the reefs of the carribien
[emoji2].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have school age kids and you are thinking of Florida, you need to REALLY do your research. Some of the public schools have very low academic standards, the demographics may be surprising as well. Florida schools rank as one of the very lowest performance of all states in the US. The governor has cut a lot of money from the public schools and teacher pay (and quality) is nothing compared to many other more populous states.

There can be huge differences in demographics in Florida within just a 20 mile difference. This will be expressed in real estate costs and public schools.

I have lived in Florida (Miami, Coral Gables, Ft Lauderdale). I have been to Portland. I have SCUBA dived in the Pacific.

Given your criteria, it would be Florida. Hands down. The list of reasons goes on and on, but begins with water temperature, cool stuff to see and well, ends with water temperature.

In Miami water temps usually don't go below 70F year round. We are talking most winter 75F, at most a 5 mil.

If you have school age kids and you are thinking of Florida, you need to REALLY do your research. Some of the public schools have very low academic standards, .

How bad is it? I heard that there are areas in FL that have decent schools. Any idea what those might be? I am looking into this issue.

The water temp is nice indeed, but what impresses me is that there is so much diving in South Florida and it's so convenient. From the Keys north for 150 miles are great reefs, multiple wrecks, and multiple dive ops. There are certainly better places in the world to dive, but is there a better place for diving?

How do you feel about rain?

We have often pondered a move to the left coast, and still do from time to time. Being Canadian, Florida isn't an option, but my recollection of the place is that it's over-developed and over-paved.

I also love skiing, so I'd put up with the rain for the amazing west coast diving and skiing.

I don't understand???? How could anyone not choose Washington???? Ahhhh temp and viz. There are those problems. I actually get a little bored diving in the Riviera Maya after awhile. The Washington coast is better in some ways. If 3-4 hours driving one way to salt water is OK then that opens up most of the state, with the exception of where I live. And opening up the East side of the state drops housing prices way down.

Back
Top Bottom