Floriday Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingKDawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's been a while since we've been to the Keys. We are considering Key Largo for a long weekend trip. Probably Rainbow Reef Divers (unless anyone can recommend a place with smaller boats. The other option is staying in Tavernier and diving with Conch Republic Divers. I've been looking at some recent photos of some of the Key Largo sites and a lot seems to be bleached out or just general lack of life. Is this the case? Thoughts about Key Largo vs Tavernier?

I noticed the bleaching at Key largo in 2021 as well. I'm diving Islamorada with Key Dives, 4 days next month then 2 days at key largo with Blue water divers- they purchased the six pack boat from Sun Sports Diving.
Good Divin, Dive Safe
SoCalRich

Me personally I would skip the keys and go somewhere between Jupiter and Ft. Lauderdale. Plenty of things to do, less expensive, good beaches, and plenty of great diving with reefs that are in better condition. Just my 2psi. Good luck either way.

Nice artificial reefs (Spiegel, Duane, Bibb), and a couple shallow natural wrecks, ( Benwood, a nice night dive, and the City of Washington. Last time I was there, there were several large grouper and sharks hanging out on The City. That's in Key Largo. Plenty more south, including the Vandenberg in Key West.

Trip report,
Islamorada diving was excellent, 16 dives in 4 days. Key largo 2 dives including The Washington, made me cry.
Time to hit dry suit country "Catalina island, So Calif."
But I am interested in the Jupiter area diving. Then maybe working the way up to South Carolina.
Dive Safe,
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

I went out not too long ago with Rainbow Reef Dive Center and the sites "The Aquarium" and "Christ of the Abyss" were great.

For wreck diving, I really prefer diving with Horizon if I'm in Key Largo. I've also dived with Rainbow Reef and they are fine (as long as you don't care about the cattle boat dynamic). Have also heard a lot of good things about Conch Republic (my LDS charters with them regularly).

Trip report,
Islamorada diving was excellent, 16 dives in 4 days. Key largo 2 dives including The Washington, made me cry.
Time to hit dry suit country "Catalina island, So Calif."
But I am interested in the Jupiter area diving. Then maybe working the way up to South Carolina.
Dive Safe,
Good Divin,
SoCalRich
Come to Jupiter for sure :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom