Thoughts on Upcoming Trip (Recommendations, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! Hope you all are doing well. I had spring break plans with some friends but they ended up falling through and I am on the hunt for the cheapest/easiest place for me to do a quick solo trip to get some dives in. Unfortunately, out-of-the-country travel is probably not going to work out well (I am in the military, and there's a lot of paperwork and extra training I would have to do), so Cozumel is out of the picture.

I have been to the keys many times with my mom to do some diving in Islamorada (as well as Jupiter), but someone told me to check out the hotel packaged deals that Rainbow Reef does in Key Largo. If possible, I would really like to avoid getting a rental car since I am also under 24, but it looks like there are some really affordable busses from Miami to Key Largo right by the dive shop and the hotels.

My main questions are 1) is it possible to not have a rental car and to stay with RR and at the Holiday Inn and not live insufferably for a couple days haha 2) has anyone done this and can honestly recommend it?

Thanks in advance!

* edit for correct hotel

My main questions are 1) is it possible to not have a rental car and to stay with RR and at the Hilton and not live insufferably for a couple days haha 2) has anyone done this and can honestly recommend it?
The answer to Question #1 is Yes. You are walking distance to the dive shop/boats and several decent places to eat.

#2 I have not done it but know of many people who did while I was employed at RR.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea to me. If you don't mind a longish walk you could take care of all your needs including grocery store from a hotel base in Key Largo where your outfitter launches from.

I have taken many trips to RR on a dive shop bus from Atlanta. We stayed either at the Holiday Inn or the Marriott Courtyard, which are the two hotel usually included as part of the RR dive packages. Once there, the bus is parked and we don't generally use it again until we leave since the dive boats and numerous restaurants and bars were within easy walking distance of the two hotels. You mentioned staying at the Hilton. There is a Bakers Cay Resort by Hilton and a Hampton Inn. Both are a pretty long walk from the boats, but doable. If you are trying to figure out how far away a hotel is from RR, be aware that RR has a retail store and two different locations for their boats. The two locations for the boats are on the same canal but on different sides (Caribbean Dr versus Ocean Dr). It's about a 20 minute walk to get from one side of the canal to the other.

It's about a 20 minute walk to get from one side of the canal to the other.
Only if you walk like grandma...

First of all, thank you for your service young man! And that’s an awesome profile pic with, I assume, your brother.
I have no experience with Rainbow Reef, but I wanted to thank you for the bus idea. I get really cheap great flights from Salt Lake to FLL, but renting a car at the airport almost always is a bad experience.

There is quite a bit that's walking distance from the Rainbow Reef area. There's a Marriott and a Holiday really close to RR. Is that what you referring to, because the Hilton is not terribly close. Also, take a look at Waterside Suites which is down the street from RR. You get a little apt that has a deck overlooking the waterway. They did a remodel a few years ago which was desperately needed and it came out nice enough. If you do end up traveling with someone, there's a pullout couch available. It's a decent option that may save you some cost, especially because you would have a kitchen and not need to eat out 3x/day.

My favorite dive op in that area is Horizon, but Horizon is not located near accommodations and restaurants as RR is. Rainbow Reef is very popular and you'll have a good time.

There is quite a bit that's walking distance from the Rainbow Reef area. There's a Marriott and a Holiday really close to RR. Is that what you referring to, because the Hilton is not terribly close. Also, take a look at Waterside Suites which is down the street from RR. You get a little apt that has a deck overlooking the waterway. They did a remodel a few years ago which was desperately needed and it came out nice enough. If you do end up traveling with someone, there's a pullout couch available. It's a decent option that may save you some cost, especially because you would have a kitchen and not need to eat out 3x/day.

My favorite dive op in that area is Horizon, but Horizon is not located near accommodations and restaurants as RR is. Rainbow Reef is very popular and you'll have a good time.

LOL! I was referring to the Holiday Inn, my apologies. I'll check out Waterside Suites :) Thanks!

If you are considering the Marriott Courtyard, as others have mentioned, I’ll add that I have stayed there a few times and find the place to be decent, very clean and the rooms to be of a good size. I last stayed a few weeks ago and it was a good visit.

Solid idea. There are several shuttle options to and from Largo from MIA and FLL. You really don’t need a car once you’re there. Several restaurants within a 10-15 minute walk, some even closer. The only variable is the weather.

Food options to check out:
- Sharkey’s - Post dive beer, bar food, music
- Mrs. Mack’s Kitchen - Diner style seafood
- Denny’s Latin Cafe - Coffee, breakfast, Cuban food

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom