Flying after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsloo

Reaction score
Quick question....
My father and I were hoping to take a trip to Bonaire.
Except for a cruise, I have never taken a dive trip by plane before. Is it a standard to NOT fly, for a total of 24 hours after your last dive??? (I just want to maximize my # of dives on this 5 day trip.) Can the interval of time between your last dive and flying be shortened, if you go on say....just a 30 ft dive????
Thanks for your time!!
jsloo

It depends on who you talk to. 24 hours is pretty conservative. Usually, 12 hours is acceptable unless you've been doing a lot of diving over many days. Some dive computers will calculate your no fly time for you and in those cases, a shallow dive will give a shorter no fly time.

None of thier test divers got bent flying 12 hours after a single dive.

None of their test divers got bent flying 18 hours after a repetitive dives series.

18 hours is the suggested interval.

In other wrods, if you are flying home at noon you should finish your diving by 6:00 PM the day before your departure.

There is never any guarantee that you won't get bent.

with 24 hours being even better. I'm jealous! A trip to Bonaire! Have a great time. :)

Thanks for your responses.
Yes, I should be prudent and certainly give myself 24 hrs.
Thanks Victoria!!.....I will....
jsloo

Hi,

I have something to add....yes may it be a 12 hour interval or 24 hour. It is good you have adequate rest and not too much of a drink the night before your trip flying.

I had this experience .... an interval of about 20 hours after a three dive trip in Phuket. Spend my last night there drinking with my friends and ended in bed at almost two in the morning and was at the airport at about half nine. I suffered mild DCS ..but it was awful ; zillions of needles inside my body .... at that time I thought I could die ... well...tell myself to be better disciplined from there on :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom