How long to exercise after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on a cruise and was wondering how long after a dive do I need to wait before exercise? Prior to becoming a diver I'd exercise every day to offset all the food I'd consume on a cruise. :D

On my first cruise after being certified, I'd only have 1 dive, so I wouldn't exercise after 24hrs which was easy enough. The cruise I'm currently on is 7 days and I have two dives planned, spaced two days apart.

I've read anywhere from 6 to 24hrs of no hard exercise, not counting lugging your gear of course.

I was so excited to finally dive in the clear blue ocean that I forgot to adequately research before I left.

As always thanks for the replies and trip report will be coming once i return.

I'm guessing shallow reef dives?

Based on this: Do your cardio before the dive if practical. If not, wait at least 4 hours, preferably 6.

I was told by a former dive doc that 6 hours post dive is a minimum before any cardio exercise.

OK thank you so much.

I was told by a former dive doc that 6 hours post dive is a minimum before any cardio exercise.
Damn........ so climbing back up that flipp'n hill after all those dives to Sunrise Beach was a bad idea and I was supposed to sit on the beach for 6 hours?

Vm56A0P.jpg

Damn........ so climbing back up that flipp'n hill after all those dives to Sunrise Beach was a bad idea and I was supposed to sit on the beach for 6 hours?
Same for Valhalla Missle Silo in Texas. You lug your kit from your vehicle to 20-30 ft down to the staging area. You get kitted up and walk down roughly 50 - 80 feet of stairs. Go on a 100' dive then climb up the previous 50-80 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom