Flying after diving.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya one of the divers will be a pilot. I just want to makebsure 24hrs is sufficient.

Ya one of the divers will be a pilot. I just want to makebsure 24hrs is sufficient.
That should be for anything. Depending on high you will fly and your diving, 12 or 18 would be the minimum. I've flown on a jet pressurized to 8,000 ft after just a few hours once, but I'd only dived to 20 ft.

Whenever my computer clears, I feel good to board.

I would hope that a trained pilot would know the rules about flying. I would think 24 hours would be adequate, but have no clue about the rules of piloting. This may be a good place to determine the risks of diving and flying but not the rules about piloting a craft after diving. I would think your pilot buddy would know, so ask him.

I would not assume the rules for operating a plate are the same as being a commercial passenger. IMO taking advice from Divers may not be your best course of action unless they are pilots as well.

I would hope that a trained pilot would know the rules about flying. I would think 24 hours would be adequate, but have no clue about the rules of piloting. This may be a good place to determine the risks of diving and flying but not the rules about piloting a craft after diving. I would think your pilot buddy would know, so ask him.

Ya I'm sure we will consult more than SB.

Might also be worth checking to see what the FAA has to say about it. As a pilot, I'm assuming he would fall under some sort of regulations that could have legal or other repercussions.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap8/aim0801.html

d. Decompression Sickness After Scuba Diving.

1. A pilot or passenger who intends to fly after scuba diving should allow the body sufficient time to rid itself of excess nitrogen absorbed during diving. If not, decompression sickness due to evolved gas can occur during exposure to low altitude and create a serious inflight emergency.
2. The recommended waiting time before going to flight altitudes of up to 8,000 feet is at least 12 hours after diving which has not required controlled ascent (nondecompression stop diving), and at least 24 hours after diving which has required controlled ascent (decompression stop diving). The waiting time before going to flight altitudes above 8,000 feet should be at least 24 hours after any SCUBA dive. These recommended altitudes are actual flight altitudes above mean sea level (AMSL) and not pressurized cabin altitudes. This takes into consideration the risk of decompression of the aircraft during flight.

Back
Top Bottom