Flying on Monday morning after diving weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how the altitude diving (1500') would affect the question. I do know that the flight duration is not going to factor in.

Diving at a higher altitude will help Vindobona. The NDL's are lower for altitude dives and the lower surface pressure will allow faster off-gassing. Don't count on this alone. At 1500 feet the change is small. A dive to 50 feet is equivalent to a dive to 53 feet at sea level. Get advice from your instructor.

<snip>
I know this situation is less than ideal, but there are 2 factors that might make it slightly better:
- I'll be diving in a lake 460m/1500ft above sea level.
- My flight on Monday is only 1.5 hours long.

Looking forward to your evaluation. Thanks!

I dive at altitude pretty frequently so I kind thought that might be wrong.

Not slightly better but slightly worse..

At altitude, atmospheric pressure is lower than at sea level, so surfacing at the end of an altitude dive leads to a greater reduction in pressure and an increased risk of decompression sickness.

is taking a high speed train an option? figured it might be since you are listed as in europe.

Nitrox will reduce nitrogen loading. I would reschedule class or flight. Single dive I might chance but not multiple dives over a couple of days.

24 hours between the last dive and the takeoff of your airplane. BTW, how long is your flight. What sort of airplane?

I dive at altitude pretty frequently so I kind thought that might be wrong.

Not slightly better but slightly worse..

At altitude, atmospheric pressure is lower than at sea level, so surfacing at the end of an altitude dive leads to a greater reduction in pressure and an increased risk of decompression sickness.

In general the risk is higher. Using the theoretical depth table (TDT) or computer for altitude diving should mitigate that risk. After thinking more on this what I said in an earlier post is probably wrong and the risk may be the same. The rate of off-gassing has to be controlled and kept to a safe rate. The rate is dependent on the pressure drop between the tissues and the lungs (surface pressure). Since we can't control the surface pressure we have to lower the ppN2 in the tissues. This is done by following the TDT with standard tables. This results in lower ppN2 in the tissues but with the higher rate of off-gassing will leave you with the same ppN2 as if you did the same dive at sea level.

Last edited:
Nitrox will reduce nitrogen loading. I would reschedule class or flight. Single dive I might chance but not multiple dives over a couple of days.

I'm Nitrox-certified already, so I could potentially do my 2 dives on Sunday with Nitrox.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your advice everyone. I will definitely pre-check this with the diving school and the instructor. I will share the outcome here :)

Personally I would use Nitrox on all dives and make sure the deepest one was done on Day 1 and not Day 2.

If none of the subsequent dives are deeper than 24M use EAN40 if you can have that prepared beforehand and you should be fine.

However at the end of the day it's your call

I just talked to the diving school :) The outcome:

- I will do the deep dive on day 1, instead of day 2 in the morning
- The last dive on day 2 will be with Nitrox and very shallow
- The last dive will also be earlier than usual, so that I finish at about 1 PM and have 18 hours between my dive and my flight
- If, for one reason or another, the last dive on day cannot be done that early, it will be moved to another day after my business trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom