Food or groc. can't find in Coz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How many have been shopping for food in Mega or Chedraui and can't find what your looking for. Does it even exist in Coz. For those that haven't been to either store are missing an adventure. On our last 3 trips we have looked and couldn't find pork sausage " breakfast patty sausage" and sweet pickles. Not saying that you can't buy them but if they exist, by what name and where will you find them? Has anyone else come across this problem and if so what could you not find. Might save someone some time looking for something that dosen't exist in Coz. Also found that refridgerated milk was sold in Coz but not in Playa, we could not find it in . Not saying that it does't exist but just could not find the refrid. milk .

The main thing that I'm asking is when going to these stores as I was looking for pork sausage, is it available in Coz. If not I will look no more. I'm sure that there are more foods or items that you will find in US that you can not buy in Coz. Not being fluient in spanish may be a translation would steer me or someone else in the right direction to find what they are looking for. Curious as to what others have looked for but could't find.

How many have been shopping for food in Mega or Chedraui and can't find what your looking for. Does it even exist in Coz. For those that haven't been to either store are missing an adventure. On our last 3 trips we have looked and couldn't find pork sausage " breakfast patty sausage" and sweet pickles. Not saying that you can't buy them but if they exist, by what name and where will you find them? Has anyone else come across this problem and if so what could you not find. Might save someone some time looking for something that dosen't exist in Coz. Also found that refridgerated milk was sold in Coz but not in Playa, we could not find it in . Not saying that it does't exist but just could not find the refrid. milk .
I've never been able to find pickles on Cozumel. Guess you'll have to come home early. :crafty:

Uh, I got to Coz to eat Coz food mostly. It different from Tex-Mex and even Old-Mex as we know it in Texas. I will get a burger now and then, but not at an American chain - and I did buy some frosted donuts last time at Mega, a real weakness of mine.

I once took Sweet Pickles & Tabasco sauce to a Bahamian liveaboard. It was going out of Exuma and I figured the fare might be a little too British for me. Their food was good, and they had Tabasco, but I was glad I took the pickles.

I don't know about breakfast patty sausage? I don't know their standards for pig farming, and I am unhappy enough with US standards.

You can transport the pickles into the country I think, but I'd have to check, especially only transporting meat. I know you can't bring meat back.

I don't think you could really make a list of what we don't have. There are a ton of grocery and other items we can't get. Then one day there will be a truckload of it, then never again.

As for importing, forget about anything that has beef anywhere on the label. You won't get it in.

Ah found this site: Bringing Food, Plants and Animals into Mexico
Allowed Imports

Smoking tobacco
Leather products, except for endangered species like wild lamb, jaguar, black bear, etc.
Honey
Dogs and cats (a maximum of two per traveler) with health certificates and rabies vaccine records. Visit our "Traveling with Pets in Mexico" guide for more information.
Roasted coffee, dried prunes, packaged spices, dried herbs, preserved fruits and vegetables cooked or dried mushrooms and dried truffles.
Dry cooked, packed and bottled foods
From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled.

Regulated Imports - there are special requirements for these products

Poultry and poultry products
Wild plants and hunt trophies
Rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, etc.
Hide
Seeds, seedlings, fresh plant parts, etc.
Plants, fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers, raw cereals, etc.
Dairy products
Bees and bees' products (except honey)
Fresh, dried, canned, smoked or frozen meat and meat products from quarantined countries
Flours like corn meal, etc.
Veterinary medications and biological products
Agricultural chemicals and raw materials

Prohibited Imports

Soil
Bales of hay, natural straw or any straw decoration
Homemade food items
Meal of bone or meat

For Pickles, Mega has S&W Jars for 49 pesos...Not the best but are ok. I buy them all the time. I used to bring pickles from the states and had no problems, but they wiegh a lot and since the airlines went down to 50lbs, More important stuff to bring. Sausage?, you might find at Pascadeli on Calle 2 and 50ave. I love to get thier Jenne-0turkey prastrami for 90 pesos a kilo....The might have it there.

Applesauce...It's just not a hispanic thing even the english speaking staff had no idea what I was talking about.

This is the wife of la diver talking now, I TRIED to make chicken or shrimp alfredo.... it was pretty awful, I could not find any alfredo sauce and what ever I tried to use was really bad (don't know why we tried to make italian in Mexico but it didn't work for us). Guess they make pretty much everything from scratch and we have gotten spoiled to quick and easy. But their cakes were great especially that 3 milk cake. Take the cake and add vanialla ice cream and you got a GREAT dessert...wow.

Back
Top Bottom