For all Photographers out there.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hocky

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am contracted to Harper Collins, the publishing house, to write a guide book (Lonely Planet style) on the best dive sites in Australia. I know, its a tough job...not. The book is almost completed and I have probably half the photographs that I need but I am missing photographs from both temperate and warm waters.
Its going to be a glossy publication with lots of colour and I was wondering if there are any photographers out there who have either tried to get published and can't or just want their photographs published in a book that will be the ultimate guide for diving in and around Australia.
If this interests anyone then I'd definately like to hear from you. You can contact me via email or reply to this thread and I will answer all queries.
Its hard to get published as a writer, its even harder to get published as a photographer, this could be a great opportunity for you.
Thanks, i look forward to hearing from one and all.
Hocky

I only have photos from the Caribbean but good luck with your book.

Hi Dee

It really doesn't matter where the photographs come from as most of the warm water fish that I'll be using are generic world wide.
For instance if you happen to have photographs of Dolphins...great I can use them. If you have photographs of barracuda I can use them. Most of the warm water pelagic schools of fish travel...meaning if you get them there then its more than likely that we get them here.
If anyone out there isn't that sure if I can use them because you took the photo in Californian waters (as an instance) let me know what you have and I'll tell you if its good or not.

Thanks for the interest guys, keep it coming.
regards
Hocky

G/day Hocky,

I have a few pickies that may be suitable, guess I wouldn't mind having a couple published in a book.

Fergy (Townsville N.Q.)

Originally posted by Hocky
... I am contracted to Harper Collins, the publishing house, to write a guide book (Lonely Planet style) on the best dive sites in Australia.

Wow this is a great. One of own -- soon to be famous. Congrats!

Like Dee, my warm water pics are all from the Carribean. I'll send you a list of the 'stars' of the pics (fish names, coral etc), who knows... there maybe something there of use to you.

Darn, my chance at fame and none of my pics are near what you call "book quality" Oh well just means I have to go back and take some more. Although you would think that will 250+ pictures at least some of them would be extrordinary!

Anyway congrats on the opportunity!

Hocky,

I have lots of photos from the Pacific...eastern and western...as well as the Caribbean. Some are "portraits", i.e, close-ups of trumpetfish, scorpionfish, etc.; others are of schools; others are just the "usual suspects". I cannot scan them...no scanner yet...so, how do you want to receive them? I will not send negatives or slides...originals are too "valuable" to me.

Sounds like a wonderful project! Congrats on receiving the honor!

Joewr...

Joewr,

If you would like to post some of them online I would be glad to scan them and post them on my site since people like to see them. I have posted DivingGals pics of Barbados and will be posting some of mine too.

Let me know if you are interested.

Syruss,

Let's see what Hocky says. I am not certain that the resolution online will be sufficient for a "final selection". I appreciate the offer!

Joewr...

Syruss, Syruss -- now how exactly is Joewr going to get the pics to you? He already mentioned to Hocky that
I cannot scan them...no scanner yet...so, how do you want to receive them? I will not send negatives or slides...originals are too "valuable" to me.

Jower - I just picked up a rather inexpensive scanner, and even I as a neophyte techi, found it easy to connect, and use. It's a great tool - I can now share my pics with the family who are spread around the world.

Back
Top Bottom