for all the cold water drysuit divers out there!! how much weight do u carry??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually got a good weight test on Thursday because I left most of my lead at home and spent most of the dive carrying around rocks. I've had a lot of trouble determining the "minimum amount of air" in my suit, but recently I found that at some point I can't take a full breath or reach my valves, so I've been calling that (well, slightly more) the minimum.

The final verdict was that 20# (incl BP) was okay with a 15L steel in freshwater with just my main (thick) fuzzy undergarments, but if I wore my extra layers I'd need a few more pounds.

I used 18# in salt water with a 12L tank and just fleece, but I'm pretty sure I had about 5# too much (limited selection of bricks)

Greetings Chironomidkraut I dive a BARE HD Tech Dry trilam and weighting depends on the undergarments.

Fleece + under armor AL80 single 18lbs with SS BPW.
CT 200gr Thinsulate + under armor AL 80 24lbs with SS BPW.

CT 200 / Fleece + under armor doubles SM or BM no weight.

If I am wearing steel singles I subtract some lead from the belt.
For example LP 95 @3000-3500psi 14-16lbs on the belt.
I rarely dive singles anymore unless it is required for training or case specific search and recovery "working" dive.

The key is to try a bunch of combos of undergarments and see what the differences are.
The difference between hi loft insulation and Thinsulate is funny.
Then jump into some fleece or like material and you will be amazed.
I have learned to use my dry suit all season not just for spring/fall/winter dives.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

With my Norther Diver cortex membrane suit and a Wheezle extreme under-suit I use 32lbs. Since i usually cant be bothered carrying all that weight i usually dive my 7mm semi dry which takes 8lbs with a 12 litre tank and 12lbs with a 15. Im quite a big guy with a fair bit of in built "bioprene" so im not sure how i get away with so little weight when smaller guys with alot more muscle diving the same thickness of semi-dry require 16lbs-20lbs.

In a whites fusion drysuit and weezle extreme plus undergarments, and with a HP steel 100 tank, I carry 14 pounds of lead. In fresh water, which is typically where I dive dry.

Deborah

Back
Top Bottom