Force the Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Salute to the Freedom of Marine Mammals

Force Fin and Ocean Futures Society salutes the freedom of all Marine Mammals everywhere. This piece was shot in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands under the ocean's surface off the island of Kure during a Ocean Futures Society/KQED expedition for the Jean-Micheal Cousteau Ocean Adventures TV series "Voyage to Kure"

The camera operator was Paul Atkins and it was an experience that has made a lasting impression on me. I am using the Ops Force Fin blade, designed and built exclusively for the Ocean Futures Society Dive Team. Truly a smart design and with the ability to adjust the blade to various stiffness and shape on the fly - puts it in a class of its own.

Enjoy this video as we salute all of the free swimming Marine Mammals of the world.

Ocean Explorer and fellow Force Fin diver Gale Mead has recently done an over-the-phone interview/narration of her 2002 dive she made in a submersible only sixteen miles away from the BP oil spill site which has resulted in a video produced for OnEarth Magazine . She is including her assessment of the threat posed to this unique ecosystem by oil and chemical dispersants.

Thanks Gale for all your efforts and energy!

More info can be found at the following link.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I have seen The Cove, and I recommend it to everyone. Sometimes I go to the cinema to escape; sometimes I like to see something that makes me think. There are so many issues this movie brings up. It's a great starting point for meaningful discussions of issues that affect us all, and that we can actually do something about.

I was with Sambolino44 when I watched The Cove and, like him, I urge everyone to do the same. As he mentioned the movie deals with a lot of issues not just the slaughter of dolphins in Japan. It also stirs up a lot of emotions especially towards the end. The most difficult part of this whole experience was to keep my anger under control. Then I thought of what a foreign visitor told me once when I was advertising my community art project about orca whales at a farmers market:"We did not hit them hard enough during WWII!" referring to the Japanese whaling. I then realized that no matter how angry I get and express it with all sort of irrational thoughts like the one I have just mentioned, change has to come from the Japanese people 's will not being imposed upon them and that anger will only alienate and isolate us further and getting us nowhere.

Last edited:
Ric and his son Lincoln have a new series on Animal Planet called Blood Dolphins. They have
one message: save the dolphins. "Blood Dolphins" follows their experience as they travel worldwide to stop dolphin slaughter. We are very proud of their continued work and energy towards bringing all of this to the public! Keep up your meaningful work!

Bob,
Gale sent me a link yesterday. As I still think about the spill and talk to who ever I can about it it is great to see this video and anything being presented about the BP Oil Disaster in the Gulf.

Great job Gale!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom